Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

UPDATE IN RED: My son is starting Kindergarten and I'm scared. He has allergies and asthma.

Posted by   + Show Post

My 5 year old son is starting school next week. He has food allergies. He's allergic to eggs, peanuts, treenuts, and coconuts. He allergic to cats, dogs, pollen, tree's, grass, dust, and so on. And he has asthma.

I am not scared because I don't want my baby to go to school or anything like that. I am scared because I have only let a handful of people take care of my son over the past 5 years because of all his allergies. Now I have to trust an entire school to take care of him.

I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack. I don't know how to handle all this. I have read articles about kids who have died because they got a hold of things they are allergic to at school.

Anyone who is going through or has gone through this, I could really use some advice.

Thanks for listen.

I got to meet my sons teacher. The school put my son with this teacher because 2 of her kids have food allergies. The school gave me all the paper to take to the doctor. I really like the idea of putting a note on the door to let other people know that there is a child with allergies in that class room. I am going to see if I can get a meeting with the teacher before school starts. I want to see the class room and ask how things are done in her class.
My son is aware of his allergies and he know not to take food from people. BUt he has never been in a situation where I wasn't there to check the food before he ate it.

by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 9:45 PM
Replies (11-20):
mommynac
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 9:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I can't add much here, but I may even go as far to tell my child not to eat anything that you didn't pack for him, and tell the teacher that as well. My DS is lactose intolerant, and there have been several incidents over the past two years where he's broken the "no milk" rule and felt quite sick afterwards. Once he felt pressured to do a craft in Sunday School (with cheese!), a few times at daycare, pizza at a bday party, and once recently with ice cream at a friends. For my DS, the reaction isn't fatal, but he does get quite sick to his stomach, cold sweats, etc.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 9:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Our school is great about handling kids' allergies. I think once he's settled into the routine and you get to know his teacher, you'll feel better. I'm sure he'll have a great time meeting new friends and learning so many new things!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AirForceWife13
by Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 9:25 PM
My son is allergic to evsrything ur son is in addition to milk, soy, and wheat. He has an epi pen and all his meds at the nurse as well as extra in the classroom. He's 7 and going into 2nd grade. He knows about his allergies and knows better than to take food from teachers who don't know his allergies. And that's only bbecause last year a substitute teacher gave him a mr goodbar. They have signs posted on his door for his peanut allergies and every year I go speak with hia teacher, nufse, cafeteria, and principal to make sure if there are new staff they all know. My son also now has a medical bracelet and if he has a sub he showz it to them. I also send his own snacks just in case anoher parent brings aomething he can't eat. Other than that one incident hes done fine in school because I've made everyone aware of it. I set up to speak to everyone he's involved with eash semester just as a reminder. Just make sure you are making everyone aware of it and he will be just fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 11:12 PM
1 mom liked this
I have had a few kids in my class over the years that had very serious food allergies or other medical situations. I always let the parent educate me fully as to how I can keep their kiddo safe. We have - knocking on wood - never had an issue.

I have had 2 medical issues that I should have known about that the parents never told anyone about (including the school nurse), but it sounds like you see on the ball abd being pro-active! :)
c_ramirez8606
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 3:33 AM

Thank you. It is nice to hear that someone else has/is going through this. Sometimes I feel like no one around me understands becuase all of my friends kids dont have allergies or asthma.

Quoting Thelmama:

My son had asthma and was deathly allergic to eggs, all forms of dairy and peanuts. He had done awesome.  I packed and still send his lunch and always provided alternatives for him for parties and such.  He has NEVER had a reaction at school.  His school nurse was quick to ask if he was having asthma symptoms and always called me.  He is 11 now and going to middle school. He has not had an asthma attack in 2 years and is no longer allergic to nuts. He still has the other allergies and knows how to handle them etc.  He will do fine. All the teachers he has ever had, have been aware and very viligant. He has never had a classmate's parent cause a problem. In fact, all of his classes had parents that would provide alternative treats if they gave candy bags for Christmas or Valentine's day.  My son is 11 and doing well living with allergies. We go to restaurants. We have taught him how to specifically order and tell wait staff he is a high allergy alert etc. Each school had a drs note, allergy list, meds etc.

c_ramirez8606
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 3:37 AM

I'm sorry to hear you son has gotten sick beause of his lactose intolerant. My biggest fear is that my son will feel pressured into eating something. His allergy to peanuts and treenuts could kill him. He knows not to take food from anyone. But peer pressure is hard to fight sometimes.

Quoting mommynac:

I can't add much here, but I may even go as far to tell my child not to eat anything that you didn't pack for him, and tell the teacher that as well. My DS is lactose intolerant, and there have been several incidents over the past two years where he's broken the "no milk" rule and felt quite sick afterwards. Once he felt pressured to do a craft in Sunday School (with cheese!), a few times at daycare, pizza at a bday party, and once recently with ice cream at a friends. For my DS, the reaction isn't fatal, but he does get quite sick to his stomach, cold sweats, etc.

mommynac
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 6:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Trust your fears because it's happened to us! He is really young. Interview people at the school, and see what their policy is. I'm lucky because at our school, the teachers and staff are hypersensitive to it. My son goes to a very small, private school so that helps.

Quoting c_ramirez8606:

I'm sorry to hear you son has gotten sick beause of his lactose intolerant. My biggest fear is that my son will feel pressured into eating something. His allergy to peanuts and treenuts could kill him. He knows not to take food from anyone. But peer pressure is hard to fight sometimes.

Quoting mommynac:

Thelmama
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Your welcome. I have been there.  People don't get it. Even this week someone asked about his allergies and said "so he is lactose intolerant". I said "No, if he eats dairy, he would be dead inside 3 minutes without an epi pen". Their face was like utter shock.  And when he was so sick with asthma people didn't get how a common cold could turn deadly. We almost lost him a few times due to asthma mixed with pnuemonia.  People thought I was over protective where germs were concerned. When you have almost lost your child, it changes who you are.  I am glad most kids don't have to deal with it. But it is nice when you run into someone that gets it.

Quoting c_ramirez8606:

Thank you. It is nice to hear that someone else has/is going through this. Sometimes I feel like no one around me understands becuase all of my friends kids dont have allergies or asthma.

Quoting Thelmama:

My son had asthma and was deathly allergic to eggs, all forms of dairy and peanuts. He had done awesome.  I packed and still send his lunch and always provided alternatives for him for parties and such.  He has NEVER had a reaction at school.  His school nurse was quick to ask if he was having asthma symptoms and always called me.  He is 11 now and going to middle school. He has not had an asthma attack in 2 years and is no longer allergic to nuts. He still has the other allergies and knows how to handle them etc.  He will do fine. All the teachers he has ever had, have been aware and very viligant. He has never had a classmate's parent cause a problem. In fact, all of his classes had parents that would provide alternative treats if they gave candy bags for Christmas or Valentine's day.  My son is 11 and doing well living with allergies. We go to restaurants. We have taught him how to specifically order and tell wait staff he is a high allergy alert etc. Each school had a drs note, allergy list, meds etc.

c_ramirez8606
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 10:59 AM

I get alot of people who think I am over reacting or tell me to let him be a kid and eat what ever he wants. But what most people don't see are the emergency visit and doctor appt after doctor appt. I get so mad with  alot of people who don't understand. I am so sorry you almost lost your child. Thankfully my son has never been that sick before.

Quoting Thelmama:

Your welcome. I have been there.  People don't get it. Even this week someone asked about his allergies and said "so he is lactose intolerant". I said "No, if he eats dairy, he would be dead inside 3 minutes without an epi pen". Their face was like utter shock.  And when he was so sick with asthma people didn't get how a common cold could turn deadly. We almost lost him a few times due to asthma mixed with pnuemonia.  People thought I was over protective where germs were concerned. When you have almost lost your child, it changes who you are.  I am glad most kids don't have to deal with it. But it is nice when you run into someone that gets it.

Quoting c_ramirez8606:

Quoting Thelmama:

Thelmama
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Thanks.  He is so much better now. He hasn't has an asthma attack in 2 years.  He had some wheezing this last spring but had pnuemonia and for the first time he was not in a hospital!  He just had pnemonia and no other symptoms. People think I am weird for saying that, but he has been so sick in the past it was like easy to deal with the last time.

Quoting c_ramirez8606:

I get alot of people who think I am over reacting or tell me to let him be a kid and eat what ever he wants. But what most people don't see are the emergency visit and doctor appt after doctor appt. I get so mad with  alot of people who don't understand. I am so sorry you almost lost your child. Thankfully my son has never been that sick before. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)