Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Prayer in school?

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 3:24 PM
  • 70 Replies
Does your child pray in school? We are Christian and pray on several occasions and sometimes just because. Our dd always prays at mealtimes with us. I'm trying to teach her to respect other people's position on this but to never be ashamed or embarrassed to pray at school. I pray at work. Any tips? She's only 5. So asking her to stand up for her faith is a big deal at such a young
Impressionable age. So does your child pray at school?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 3:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
banana-bear
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 3:34 PM
I'm homeschooling again, but if she were to go to public, she would not pray in school. While my husband and I are Christian, and we pray separately when we feel like it, we have not really introduced religion to our girls and they don't know what prayer is. I think anyone should have the right to pray, or the right not to pray, no matter where they are and no matter to which god.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NoahsCoolMama
by Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Yes, my son prays at school, but he does attend a Christian school. We also pray when we go to restaurants, so I always teach my son to not be ashamed or embarrassed to pray.

StudentofLife
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 3:47 PM

My children are being raised agnostic. They could do whatever they please, but they do not know what prayer is I don't think.

TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Aug. 15, 2012 at 3:51 PM
If my children wanted to pray at school they could. My DD would prolly pray silently though. I belonged to a Christian club that met every morning and we'd pray together. If we were together in between classes and needed a prayer we would pray together. Also in the morn during the announcements they allowed a "moment of silence" so if Christians wanted to they could pray silently
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3babiesofmyown
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 3:51 PM
Would you be offended if another child invited yours to pray with them? Again I would never want my child to push her views in anyone else. I'm trying to explain how to respect other people's views but she is only 5 and many adults can't achieve this. Lol. It's tough. But she's been raised in church. So as much as your child would be new to prayer mine will be somewhat new to others not praying or believing in God.

Quoting StudentofLife:

My children are being raised agnostic. They could do whatever they please, but they do not know what prayer is I don't think.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3babiesofmyown
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 3:53 PM
We pray at resturants as well. I just wonder how she'll do when she's on her own and nobody else is praying. I hate to see her stop just because she feels she is the only one.

Quoting NoahsCoolMama:

Yes, my son prays at school, but he does attend a Christian school. We also pray when we go to restaurants, so I always teach my son to not be ashamed or embarrassed to pray.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Dd did in pre-k, but her preschool was in a Lutheran church.

As far as I know, they don't. If they do, it would be silently.

StudentofLife
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 4:00 PM

The only way I'd take offense was if my child said no and was repeatedly asked to join. If my children want to pray then I am fine with it. Our neighbor has a daughter the same age as my son. They are extremely religious. Their children talk about God all the time as well as their mother. We love and respect everyone's beliefs.

Quoting 3babiesofmyown:

Would you be offended if another child invited yours to pray with them? Again I would never want my child to push her views in anyone else. I'm trying to explain how to respect other people's views but she is only 5 and many adults can't achieve this. Lol. It's tough. But she's been raised in church. So as much as your child would be new to prayer mine will be somewhat new to others not praying or believing in God.

Quoting StudentofLife:

jillbailey26
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Just teach her to bow her head and pray.  Teach her that if someone asks what she's doing she can politely say that she's praying.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

3babiesofmyown
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 4:05 PM
That's really cook. We feel the same way. I respect your position on that. I also appreciate your response. There are many things I handle a certain way because of my beliefs but I may overlook teaching my dd certain things because they now come naturally to me. but I try to remember this is all new to her and she needs guidance in all areas.

Quoting StudentofLife:

The only way I'd take offense was if my child said no and was repeatedly asked to join. If my children want to pray then I am fine with it. Our neighbor has a daughter the same age as my son. They are extremely religious. Their children talk about God all the time as well as their mother. We love and respect everyone's beliefs.

Quoting 3babiesofmyown:

Quoting StudentofLife:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)