Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Kitchen Talk for August 18th

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you notice the price of your favorite grocery items going up? Do you buy them anyway or find a cheaper version?

by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 6:52 AM
Replies (91-100):
meliscool72
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 9:41 PM

there are some things that the household will not revert to generic names, but other stuff, we always go generic

nellyb118
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 9:43 PM
I've noticed prices going up and packages getting slightly smaller.
We only shop sales and with coupons.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Taylorsmom731
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 9:47 PM
I have tried a few non name brand items, and to my surprise was rather pleased with them.
However, I will have to agree, unfortunately, nothing that I have had tastes better than
real CocaCola. It is the best, otherwise, give it a try. It won't hurt anything, especially
Your wallet !! ;)
auntof2
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 9:52 PM

I walk in the market and look for the mark-down sections,first. I buy whatever there I can/will use. After that, I buy only what I need. One market, farther away is cheaper than my local store chain. I buy staples there.

Also, I'm getting ready to make my own deodarant, dish soap, and shampoo. I'm sick of the high prices, the plastic, and the fact that they keep changing something that works and charge more for less product.

To heck with it -- I'm going to make my own! Cheaper, better for me, and no packaging.

teesoloca
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 9:54 PM
Yes, I went to buy eggs(18ct) today and they were $2.48, just 3 weeks ago they were $2.08.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mstevens10
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 10:04 PM
Abks I didn't know the differences but still it will be a chain reaction/ cause and effect type deal. DH is in oil and gas industry too and he says the same. Boats and other things that have the platic/rubber like hoses gets messed up.

Quoting brandi185:

Quoting mstevens10:

It's only going to get worse.. Corn prices came out and it's significantly higher (60% higher than in June) because the drought didn't allow the corn to produce. A few ears back Congress passed an act which required that gasoline producers blend 15 billion gallons of ethanol into the nation’s gasoline supply by 2015.The ethanol requirements have triggered the rise in food costs and
spreading it to the price of gasoline, which is up almost 40 cents since the start of July. Because of this... half of the crops are devoted to going to fuel instead of peopels mouths. It's a simple supply and demand... We're going to demand way more than can be supplied so prices will soar. It's just going to be a ripple effect.

actually the corn used for ethanol is cow and chicken and maybe pig food.  it is yellow corn not sweet yellow corn.  it is not grown for humans to eat.  the corn prices of what humans eat are going up because of the drought.  you may see a rise in the prices of meat and maybe eggs because of feed corn also going to ethanol.  my dh works for an oil/gas company.  he said that companies would love to quit using it because it stinks, it corrodes, and causes your gas to burn faster.  since it's already passed as a requirement by the government they have to put it in.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofkandb
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 10:28 PM

I buy what I need.  

christina259
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 10:32 PM

I've noticed. Usually I'm very budget conscience. I do my weekly financial check before I head to the grocery store. That way I know whether we can afford to bust the grocery budget or not but we've had a little extra cash these days so I figured, the bank accounts looking good, its food so its not like wasting it on things we don't need. That and due to things being so hectic and busy lately, I would just go grab what we need and omg, bad idea. So I went back and checked in my account online how much went to grocery store trips and of course too much money went to food. I started paying more attention to how much just getting what we need was coming up to and sure enough I noticed that the prices just seemed to be going up again. I've had to adjust my grocery budget limit once again. I tend to buy off brands to save money but then dh will complain it don't taste good. Its not even the kids, they could care less. If dh saw how much we spent on groceries he'd probably be shocked so I'll probably go back to hunting for coupons and a few off brands. Dh refuses to let go of his haagan daus, lol. Can't say I blame him. He works hard so I suppose we can stick with that one.

soymujer
by Mikki on Aug. 19, 2012 at 10:33 PM

I do notice but we always buy the cheaper versions anyway.

family in the van   Mom of four

MariannLewis
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 10:40 PM
I coupon so I never pay full price for anything. I am not brand loyal.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN