Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 8:20 PM
Replies (11-15):
TroyboysMom
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 1:09 PM

For the most part, I agree. I don't necessarily think that a child should be doing every single thing, every single day, but that's a good baseline for kids to learn from. We have a similar list in our home.

liz.1986
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Mostly agree. I wouldn't let my 5 yr old weed and i wouldn't let my 7 yr old get the mail. I'd be afraid he'd drop something.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 2:36 PM
For the most part I agree. It is one of the more realistic lists I've seen. Most totally UNDERESTIMATE kids abilities.

I'm. Totally OCD on folded laundry..things have to be folded JUST RIGHT...I would have to move that from 6-8 to 9-11...unless we are talking just towels and socks...hehe
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bleumonster
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Mostly agree. Making the bed by themselves seems a little above a 3 year old and the soapy water would definately have to come with supervision. I would not trust a 4-5 year old to wash dishes even with supervision unless it was all plastic and I would swap the toilet/ tub cleaning. My 10 year old son still has trouble making simple meals for the family although there are 2-3 things he can make in the microwave or toaster oven for himself. My 14 year old daughter refuses to touch dirty dishes or mow the yard but she can do everything else. Well except hang out laundry. We have never hung it out and I doubt she would know how LOL.

Kim  

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 4:50 PM

I agree with some of them.  Washing baseboards - no thanks, way too messy.  Dishwasher's fine but washing dishes at 4 - no.  All we wash are pots and pans that need scrubbing; everything else goes in the dishwasher.  My daughter was wiping the bathroom done at 4. We don't hang laundry and I don't want her standing on a chair to put stuff into the washer or take stuff out of it.  She does put stuff into the dryer but I have to set it.  My son's been making his own meals since he was very little, starting with cereal and using the microwave at 4 with supervision.  My son's been cleaning the shower, toilet and tub since he was 8.  I don't agree with older kids supervising younger kids chores.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN