Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Second grader having a male teacher.

Posted by   + Show Post

My ds starts second grade this year and has a male teacher. He is so excited to have a boy teacher. Have many of your kids had a male teacher in the elementary grades. I am used to it with my middle schooler. I think male teachers are rare in the elementary grades.Opinions please.This is not a negative post by any means I am just wanting to know if many others had a male teacher in elementary school. I think it is great it is just rare it seems.

by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 12:53 PM
Replies (11-20):
aj23
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 1:03 PM
My son goes to a smaller prek-8 school and there are only 3 male teachers in the whole school. One teaches gym, one 3rd (and sometimes 1st) and the other teaches 6th.

I had my first male teacher in the 7th grade.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chris13
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 1:03 PM

my kids had a male first grade teacher and loved him.

ddhb2007
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 1:04 PM

I had a male teacher in 3rd grade, and my sister had a male Kindergarten teacher.  My daughter's school doesn't have any male Kindergarten teachers, but her preschool has one. 

Kaybean
by Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 1:05 PM
I had a male teacher for 3rd and 4th grade, now that I think about it. Mr. Wilkins and Mr. Viem, lol. My oldest who is going into 5th, hasn't had a male yet, and my youngest who is starting kindergarten, has a female this year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmaliaD
by Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 1:06 PM

ds is going into first.  last year there was a male first grade teacher - ds wanted him badly!  the man had a super hero theme to his room!  i also wanted him beceause he was the newest and that meant that he had the smallest class size!   but they moved him.   :(   there was one teacher ds didnt want - spent all summer saying that he hopes to get anyone but her.   of course - he got that one - so i am trying to reframe his thinking about the woman - saying we have to give her a chance but between me and you - the first thing she does that is negative or an over reaction and i will be up there - thats her repuation =- over reacts and is negative...   i dont want my son to have a bad example of positive thought because he can be easily swayed into be a negative nancy and i wont have that.    i am a teacher so i know just the workshop to suggest to her boss to help her to become a more positive educator.

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I wish there were more male teachers!

Thelmama
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 1:09 PM

My son had one for 5th grade.  I have no issues with it. My son loved having a male teacher.

Cindy18
by Cruella on Aug. 20, 2012 at 1:12 PM
My DD had a male teacher in 5th grade. He was awful. I had pushed for my kids to have male teachers since there was no father figure in their lives for years but after that experience I didn't request any certain teacher again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sonshining
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Funny, my ds, who starts 4th grade today, had a male teacher when he was in second grade. He loved the teacher, he still talks about him. He wasn't very admired by many Moms I remember because he was kinds disorganized. His classroom wasn't decorated with cute bulletin board projects, he moved and switched seating all the time. But - he taught the skills needed, and pushed my son to excel in math and spelling. He taught non-traditional stuff like tracking the ididorod. Anyway, he made learing fun I thought. With each teacher, I try and look for something that pulls the potential out of my son.

PinkButterfly66
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 1:15 PM

My daughter got her first male teacher in 5th grade.  She wasn't too happy about it either from the start.  But by the end of the school year, he was one of her favorite teachers!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)