Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Nasty attitude.

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 10:23 AM
  • 23 Replies
Hello everybody. My name is Carmen and have a 7 year old entering second grade. Sometimes, My son has a really nasty attitude. He would make comments after i tell hin to do something. He always want to have the last word.Sometimes I wonder "what the hell did I do wrong" some people have told me is the age but I wanted to know if anybody is going through this. Most of the time he is such a sweet boy but other times he can be a pain in the butt. Thanks for your comments.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 10:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 11:01 AM

It's the age.  Just be consistant in whatever punishment he gets for the attitude, and he'll eventually tone it down.

andersongirl562
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 11:03 AM
No it's not the age and don't try to fool yourself. It is more than likely due to lack of consistent and firm discipline. What do you do when this happens?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Aug. 23, 2012 at 11:04 AM
Totally agree. Girls are worse though

Quoting wakymom:

It's the age.  Just be consistant in whatever punishment he gets for the attitude, and he'll eventually tone it down.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
diaperstodating
by Angel on Aug. 23, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Bump

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 1:05 PM
My best friend's DD has a combo of anxiety and unspecified issues and must always talk after you do. It is like a compulsion that she comments. It took me a few years to realise it was a quirk not her being a smartass because a lot of times it came across as snarky just but the way she said it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Suzi8154
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi Carmen, I am new to the site just minutes ago and trying to find out how to connect with some Moms.  I am not sure how this site works quite yet, so bare with me please.

I must say I feel EXACTLY the same way about my 7 year old girl in second grade.  I am really struggling!

Suzanne

chinosruca
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 1:51 PM
Yes, my daughter was a nightmare! She is 9 now, and much better! Consistency with dealing with the attitude was key to success. It did not happen overnight, but we survived 2nd grade. It really got better in 3rd grade.

Quoting TheBabyFactory4:

Totally agree. Girls are worse though

Quoting wakymom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sonshining
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Without trying to confuse you, I have to say yes and no, it's the age. Yes, they begin to become more independent (much like two year olds) so will have more to say and more opinions. But now is the time to put your foot down and say "enough" when they start back talking. My son is 9 and just started 4th grade. He used to answer everything with an attitude. So I started with "I don't want to hear anything but "ok Mom"". If he wanted to say something, he'd do what he was told, then was able to comment. It's not easy, you have to be consistent. But it is better to nip it in the bud NOW.

LostTheSlipper
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Quoting sonshining:

Without trying to confuse you, I have to say yes and no, it's the age. Yes, they begin to become more independent (much like two year olds) so will have more to say and more opinions. But now is the time to put your foot down and say "enough" when they start back talking. My son is 9 and just started 4th grade. He used to answer everything with an attitude. So I started with "I don't want to hear anything but "ok Mom"". If he wanted to say something, he'd do what he was told, then was able to comment. It's not easy, you have to be consistent. But it is better to nip it in the bud NOW.

So before you had him do something you'd say the "okay" mom or you'd say it right before he was to answer? DS is 9 and his attitude is driving me nuts. He gets punished but is back at it again later on or the next day.

bckwdsbarbie06
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 2:32 PM

my dd is starting to get like that (just turned seven) and i've had so many say its the age. we make sure to nip it in the bud when it starts flaring up though

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)