Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Where can I get an IQ test for my 9 year old?

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 7:11 AM
  • 17 Replies

I'm wondering what my 9 year old's IQ is right now.  How can I find out?  Is there an online test that I can get to test him?  Do I need to talk to his doctor?  The school?  My 7 year old was given one two years ago when he started special services at school, and his is 112.  

A mother's child is every breath she takes. Walking hand in hand, every step she takes.

Life is hard.  Kids make the ride more fun.
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 7:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Aug. 24, 2012 at 7:20 AM
I've heard you can get them done at the school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Aug. 24, 2012 at 8:24 AM
You can request it from the school or look for a child psychologist in your area that is experienced in iq testing.
balagan_imma
by Silver Member on Aug. 24, 2012 at 8:41 AM

I would start by calling the school and your pediatrician. Between the 2 you should get the answer.

For my now 12 & 14 yr. olds we used a private child psychologist the year before they entered kindergarten. Haven't done it for my 7 yr old yet, though.

SahmTam
by Tammy on Aug. 24, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Our school psychologist did an I.Q. test for my youngest son as part of the process to qualify for the gifted program. Interestingly, my oldest is on the autism spectrum and receives services and I don't think he ever had an I.Q. test. Anyway, you can always ask the school.

orcadarwin
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 11:59 AM

He is supposed to be tested for the gifted program.  I think I will ask if an IQ test is part of that testing.  

Quoting SahmTam:

Our school psychologist did an I.Q. test for my youngest son as part of the process to qualify for the gifted program. Interestingly, my oldest is on the autism spectrum and receives services and I don't think he ever had an I.Q. test. Anyway, you can always ask the school.

A mother's child is every breath she takes. Walking hand in hand, every step she takes.

Life is hard.  Kids make the ride more fun.
jbfcmom
by Member on Aug. 24, 2012 at 5:53 PM

They did one, as well as some other tests for my DD last year in kindy as part of her gifted placement. Not all counties do IQ testing though, depends on what their criteria is for their program. Call the school and ask, if they do it then at least it would be free. If you have to take him to a doc for one, they are usually pretty pricey.

the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2012 at 5:54 PM
Can't understand why you'd want/need one, but I agree with asking school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
banana-bear
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 7:21 PM
The school psychologist would likely be the one to do it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JSD24
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 7:38 PM

One way to qualify as gifted is by having a high IQ.  I know that's when DD's was tested.  The were going to test again when they figured out she was also autistic, but they didn't.

Kris_PBG
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 7:40 PM
You can pay a psychologist to administer the testing. It usually costs between $300 - $600.

If there is suspected learning disabilities or gifted abilities, the school district may perform the testing as part of their assessment process.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN