Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

His fault or the teachers? Or niether? piog

Today was only Allan's 2nd day of kindergarten. The first day the kindergartners got out an hour early so there was not a mad rush of people from the whole school everywhere. Today he went the whole day. His class was one of the last to come out. Most of the kids in his class ride the bus but there are about 6 or 7 of them that do not.

I did not see Allan in the line. His teacher asked who I was picking up and I told her. She then realized he was not in the line and said "Oh no! He must have got in line with the bus riders!" She was very upset, turned to go into the school to look because the buses had not left yet but then out he came before she even got to the door.

She kind of put her arm around him and said "What happened?" He told her he did not know where she was. She explained to him how he needs to stay in line and make sure he stays with her when it is time to go home, etc. She was not being mean about it to him at all.

She looked at me and said "I think both of us almost had a heart attack!" lol.

Really, it was not that big of an issue, he just got mixed up and separated from the line somehow. He was fine and he knows to pay better attention when he goes back Monday.

When I told my aunt she kind of flipped out. She said the teacher should have paid more attention and had her eye on them to make sure they all got out. I told her it was a mistake, that Allan was not paying attention like he should have been (he gets that from me lol) and that it was not something to blame the teacher for (or Allan, really.)

Would you have been mad at the situation or understanding like I was? I mean he was not even really "missing" he found his way out on his own and everything was fine.

by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 5:42 PM
Replies (41-45):
Cindy18
by Cruella on Aug. 26, 2012 at 6:26 AM
2 moms liked this

Your aunt is wrong for flipping out.

I think most of the "blame" (even though it's not really anyone's fault) is on the child. The teacher has 20+ kids to watch and if they were all in the line when she started out the door and he got distracted and didn't keep up by the time she got to the front door. How was she to know that? Eyes in the back of her head?? It's still new to your son and he will learn.

I'm glad you didn't freak out.

I_told_you_so
by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 3:36 PM

I really liked the way she dealt with it.  The first thing she did was ask him what happened.  Some people would have just freaked out on him.  He was probably scared and freaking out wouldn't help.  I think he will remember his new lesson.

Ametrine
by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm glad it turned out okay.

If it were me, I'd be questioning the "official" release procedure.  Stressing "procedure"!  There really should be no kids who are unaccounted for, but at his age especially.

VeronicaTex
by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Thank you so much for saying this!!!

This is what I was getting at earlier when I spoke about teachers and aides being accountable:   for every single child.

This meant in the classroom, in the hallway, at dismissal, going to other places, at monthly fire drills, tornado drills, ect. 

Everyone, especially faculty and aides had that responsibility and took it seriously.

I also wanted to add that if there was chaos it was minimal and didn't last for more than two days at the most.

In the three AT-Risk schools I worked in we had up to 500 kids in each.

We teachers had excellent control of our kids. We had to work at it, of course-constantly!!!!

Especially in the younger grades, in the first days of school, the teachers and kids got out in the hall and practiced different procedures, which were clearly mapped out before school started.

None of us EVER wanted to have to explain how we lost a child or while a child in our care might have been hit by a car because he/she was darting out when he/she shouldn't have been.

Accountability!!!!

Veronica

Quoting Ametrine:

I'm glad it turned out okay.

If it were me, I'd be questioning the "official" release procedure.  Stressing "procedure"!  There really should be no kids who are unaccounted for, but at his age especially.

rrteechur
by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 8:53 PM

You did the right thing by not overreacting. Although teachers do everything possible the first days of school to get routines established, there are always going to be situations where something like this happens. He was not lost, he just misplaced himself for a minute or two. The teacher was probably relieved that you did not go off the rails on her, like your auntie might have done.

P.S. They are both adorable!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)