Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about potty troubles

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 10:33 AM
  • 3 Replies

Hey ladies,

My daughter just turned 6 on the 21st of August and we are still having issues with the potty. The big issue we are having is that she will NOT poop in the toilet. I have talked to the doctor, they told me to try miralax to clean her out and get her to start over, that didn't work, she went right back to holding it in. I have tried bribing her with a dollar for every day that she doesn't poop in her underwear, she made it one day and then went on to holding it in again. I have tried punishing her for pooping in her underwear, that just made it worse. I'm at a loss on what I can do to get her to stop soiling herself. She is in first grade this year and I'm worried she is going to do it at school! She did in kindergarten! We have sat down and had many talks about why she needs to use the potty, she will go and pee in there just fine, just not poop! Does anybody have any hints or tips on what I can do to help move this situation along a lil bit easier?

Thanks

Kimberly

Single Mom to Zane (7) and Grace (6)

by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 10:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
banana-bear
by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 10:48 AM
In most situations like this, the child is trying to gain some control in their life. Can you think of any reasons as to why she might feel this way? My friend's son still pooped in his pants at 6 but when he went to school, he wouldn't do it. Finally he stopped doing it all together and just went on the potty. I wish you luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hwifeandmom
by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 2:59 PM

When you give her Miralax to clean her out, where does she poop?  Does she use the toilet then?

Miralax is safe for long-term, daily use.  It's a stool-softening laxative, not a stimulant laxative, so the body doesn't grow dependent on it, which makes it safe for long-term use.  If your daughter will use the toilet when her poop is soft, then begin giving her Miralax every day, to keep her poop very soft and difficult to withhold. Use it every day for as many days, weeks, or months is needed until she overcomes her poop toileting fears.

How much Miralax you use is very individual.  The bottles have general dosing guidelines, but they are simply guidelines.  If a full dose of Miralax is too much (you get diarrhea), then reduce the dosage.  If your daughter can still withhold her poop on a full dose of Miralax, then her poop isn't soft enough, so increase her dosage. You just don't want to give your daughter so much Miralax that you give her chronic diarrhea and dehydrate her, but otherwise it's safe to use as much as is neccesary to do the job.  (My daughter has chronic bowel problems, and at one point the doctor had her taking 4 doses of Miralax and 2 doses of another laxative every day -- you use as much as is necessary for each person.)

Have your daughter sit on the toilet after mealtimes (at least after dinner, but it would be best if she could do it after breakfast and dinner both).  Eating is supposed to provide the body with a natural laxative effect, so about 15-minutes after mealtime, have her sit on the toilet for 15 minutes, to try to work with the body's natural rhythms.  You can give her balloons or blow-out party favors to blow on while on the toilet.  When she blows on them, it uses the same muscles as those needed to poop.  You can also reserve certain toys for toilet-time only (such as if she has a DS or other favorite toy or book, allow her to only use at toilet-sitting time).

If your daughter will not use the toilet to poop even when she has very loose stool, allow her to ask for a diaper or pull-up to poop in.  Have her do this for 8-12 weeks or so, until she is well in the habit of pooping as soon as she feels the urge.  Set a new date for poop toilet training.  A couple of days before, begin giving her daily doses of Miralax.  On the designated day, when she asks for a pull-up to poop in, take her to the toilet instead.  Since she'll have asked for the pull-up, you'll know her urge to poop is strong, so take advantage of it.

If Miralax is not your stool-softening laxative of choice, you can try another kind.  Some other good ones are Benefiber, Milk of Magnesia, Fiber Choice (with Inulin) and Metamucil's new Clear-and-Natural in the BLUE bottle (with Inulin).  My son uses Miralax with no problem.  My daughter is very sensitive to flavors and can taste the Miralax, so we use the Metamucil with Inulin.  It requires a smaller dose, and she can't even taste it in water.  Some kids like the chewable Fiber Choice tablets and think they're a fun treat.  Find what works for your daughter and use it consistently.

Good luck!

sunflowers12
by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 3:07 PM
No, sorry if the doc, has nothing helpful guess you will just have to fight with her til she does it... Or I guess if she craps her self have her clean it up then it might sink in poop goes in the toilet so you don't have to clean up after your self.. Eww.. good luck..
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)