Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Summer Reading Program Update

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 5:18 PM
  • 7 Replies

My soon to be 8 year old ADHD/Autistic twin sons will be starting 2nd grade on Sept 7th this year.  Normally they participate in the local library's summer reading program.  Since they were going to camp for 6 weeks during the summer, I started a Summer Reading Program here the week before school let out in June.  We started June 12th

Michael ~~ 61 books totaling 1,139 pages read

CJ ~~ 61 books totaling 1,217 pages read

CJ is clearly in the lead!

BTW, CJ swore to me on June 12th when we started that he couldn't read a single book over the summer!

Stay tuned for the final tally next week!

Who do you think will win??

by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 5:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this
That's great! If there is a Barnes & Noble near you, each summer they do a program and you get a free book at the end. DD did it this summer and loved it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KraftyMomof3
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 6:35 PM
1 mom liked this

That is awesome.  My kids did the library and also the Barnes and Noble one this year too.  I am so proud to see kids who really take reading and excel.

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Aug. 28, 2012 at 7:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Awesome!

I think CJ will win.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 8:00 PM
1 mom liked this

That is awesome.  I love it when boys really get into reading.  Do they have a favorite author/book?  Do they share the same tastes in books?

Both of my boys love books by Dan Gutman.

BaBeezandMe
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Quoting diaperstodating:

Awesome!

I think CJ will win.

Don't tell them but I am secretly hoping you are right.  I know that's wrong to say but let me explain why I said it....

Michael can read independently and loves to read.  I ask Michael to pick out a book and read it, he does with no issues.  As a matter of fact, I'd say 98% of the books he read, he read independently of my assistance.

CJ almost HATES reading to the point that he gets very discouraged whenever he has to read saying things like "I can't read that!"  I have to sit with him even with the simplest of books!!  It has been a battle I have had with him all summer long.  I push him because I truly believe in his abilities while he is busy instantly counting himself out.  I can be brutal on him when I say things like "use the skills you learned.  No I will not help you, break it down, find the smaller words in the bigger words and then blend them together!!"  When he does use his skills is when he finally reads it.  It's very rewarding to watch him FINALLY read a book that he told me he can't read then look at me as if "why did I think I couldn't?"  And best part is he read it so well....ALMOST effortlessly!!

SOOOOOOO....if he wins then that might just give him the confidence booster he so needs!!

BaBeezandMe
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

That is awesome.  I love it when boys really get into reading.  Do they have a favorite author/book?  Do they share the same tastes in books?

Both of my boys love books by Dan Gutman.

yes they share most of the same tastes in books.  No favorite author but they do love Curious George books, ANYTHING action figures, they love science and nature books, anything planets and outer space.  CJ's favorite book is Hero Dad because he wants to grow up to be an American Soldier and we just lost his Dad November last year (he didn't serve in the military).  Michael's favorite book almost any book he reads!  LOL

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Good for them!

After reading your reasoning for it, I hope CJ wins, too : )

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)