Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

kids learning a second language?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 6:17 PM
  • 30 Replies

Hello there! My husband and I have recently toyed with the idea of putting our 2 sons through some kind of second language education. I feel like some sort of education should be offered in schools but the way the budgets are, theres nothing happening at the elementary level (My sons are 4 and 8). Am i the only one who thinks our kids need to be learning a second language? what options do i have? 

by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 6:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2012 at 6:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I hope to add Spanish to our homeschool curriculum later this year :)

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Aug. 31, 2012 at 6:21 PM

they should.....can you tell my husband this (who speaks spanish!!!)?  Anyhoo....look for language immersion schools in your area.  Also, there are some language schools that are private that would require your child's attendance a couple of days a week after regular school (like an extra activity).

Olivia.M
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 6:22 PM

right on! i think its important for kids to learn a new language. is it difficult if you cant speak the language? and where do you get material to teach him? 

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Aug. 31, 2012 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not really worried about them learning a second language, but it is now a requirement in middle school here.  They have to choose between Spanish, which is taught by an actual teacher at their school or French, German, Russian, or Japanese which are all taught over the internet without a teacher in the school there to help them.  I'm very upset that the languages that I speak aren't offered with a teacher in the classroom.  I absolutely hate how Spanish seems to be shoved down our throats these days.  In my career I used French quite a bit, but never had a need to know Spanish.

Olivia.M
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 6:30 PM

I couldnt agree more. I find the fact spanish is the national second language to be unbelieveable. German, French, and even mandarin chinese (most spoken language) are hard to come by

Rbrown72707
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 6:33 PM

If you want them to be successful, the younger they are, the better.  Good luck finding something!

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Aug. 31, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Absolutely!!!

Best to start them young. Esp with spanish since it is so prevalent in the US.

There are language schools, programs such as muzzy (some libraries have it or subscribe to it online. ask for it.), look for language clubs that offer classes (D.A.N.K. offers german school)

I know german and have to say that I very rarely find a need for using my german. Knowing the language does help me decipher some other languages, but by far, knowing spanish makes you more marketable once you enter the working world.

My niece lives overseas and in the german school system, they learn german, english (british english), french and italian.

banana-bear
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 7:29 PM
I'm starting Spanish this year while homeschooling. I also teach sign to them - mostly vocabulary at this point.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
diaperstodating
by Angel on Aug. 31, 2012 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this

bump

arthistmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2012 at 9:18 PM

My husband and I believe in the importance of knowing a second language so we sent our older son to a public foreign language magnet school. His sibling will join him at the school when he begins Kinder. You can check to see if that option is available to you in your area. If not, you can always supplement their learning by having them take language courses after school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)