Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I was just wondering if any of your schools charge you as well if your child makes a visit. Luckily, our insurance will pay any of the cost BUT I know some people don't have the same insurance. I think a basic "kid gets hurt and needs to be treated aka ice and such" is about $220. I just don't get it. When did we start charging for nurse visits in public school? My kids are on strick rules to NOT go if at all possible!

by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 2:22 PM
Replies (31-40):
Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2012 at 3:09 PM
That ones still odd to me. But as I never had to ask my nurse for one, I never found out if ours charged or not

Quoting WildCat73:

No it is a public school. The only thing she does charge for is a quarter for pads.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyof2kids401
by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 3:13 PM
Ours doesn't do that but the 2 elementary schools share a nurse. So on the days they are not at one school. If a kid comes in they call her at the other school and see what she says before doing anything
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hottubgodess
by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this
She's trained 😉

Quoting steelcrazy:

Yikes that is very dangerous if she isn't trained as an actual nurse.

Quoting Hottubgodess:

Our school nurse is also the secretary. No charge here.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hectictracy
by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 3:19 PM
I've never heard of that! Can they really do that?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmrtigger
by Kandice on Sep. 3, 2012 at 3:19 PM

That's a bit weird.

LilyBeansMom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2012 at 3:51 PM
That's nuts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetPea2004
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2012 at 3:55 PM

I am in Austin ISD and I am glad we are not doing that here, geez what do they charge for a bandaid. 

Quoting JandBmom08:

I know, I know. It is happening throughout all of the Round Rock (Texas) districts. It is insane!

CafeMom Tickers
quickbooksworm
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2012 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this
That's strange. Where I live a nurse isn't billable. You can go to the Dr and the nurse is included in the charge. You can see a PA or nurse practitioner because they are allowed to charge for their services independently of a Dr. But an RN or LPN can't charge. And their salary is covered by the county.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3babiesofmyown
by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 3:58 PM
5 moms liked this
That's stupid. They better not ever charge me. I live close enough. They can call me and I'll put a band aid on her or reset a broken arm. I can get all macguyver if I have to and save a few hundred bucks. lol. Unless they have a word class surgeon in there it can be covered by the school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cindy18
by Cruella on Sep. 3, 2012 at 4:10 PM

That sounds crazy! I've never heard of such a thing. We don't have school nurses in any elementary school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)