Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I was just wondering if any of your schools charge you as well if your child makes a visit. Luckily, our insurance will pay any of the cost BUT I know some people don't have the same insurance. I think a basic "kid gets hurt and needs to be treated aka ice and such" is about $220. I just don't get it. When did we start charging for nurse visits in public school? My kids are on strick rules to NOT go if at all possible!

by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 2:22 PM
Replies (41-50):
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Sep. 3, 2012 at 4:27 PM
Wow...I've never heard of that! DS was at the nurse a lot...we used to joke that we should exchange holiday cards.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2012 at 4:38 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't think that is legal. You may want to look into that more.
PinkButterfly66
by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 4:42 PM

That is crazy!!

318indy39
by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 4:45 PM

I would check into that...ive never heard of such a thing.

kelliewhitney
by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 4:49 PM
2 moms liked this

Not in my kids' school. I cannot believe this is legal!

I did get a cranky call from the school nurse (who is great, BTW; I think she was just stressed out that day) Last year. In October, my son was dizzy and fell into a filing cabinet (turns out he had an ear infection, which we treated). Several months later, he was not feeling well at school and had a tummy ache. Her comment to me was that "This seems to be a recurring problem." Really? 2 kids in the school and 2 nurse visits for the entire family in the school year?

My son has a tendancy to get nose bleeds. He cannot bring his nose spray to school with him (and won't keep his fingers out of his nose). I'm sure he will have a few visits this year. This should be an interesting year!

TristansMom440
by Member on Sep. 3, 2012 at 5:05 PM

holy cow!  i never heard of that!!

little.worthen
by Tess on Sep. 3, 2012 at 5:06 PM
What? No.. How can she do that?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PurplePieguy
by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Wow! For as long as my kids have been in public school (my oldest is in 11th grade) I have NEVER EVER heard of this.

And, our school nurse doesn't even stay in one school. She "floats" between 5 schools.

SahmTam
by Tammy on Sep. 3, 2012 at 6:26 PM

I've never heard of that! We did just start a few years ago having to supply ibuprofen, Tylenol, and Benadryl... the non-Rx things that the school used to purchase a stock of. We used to just sign a paper allowing the nurse to give those things is necessary, now when I sign I also have to bring in a new, sealed, labeled bottle. I was happy that she let me just bring in one bottle of each for all 3 kds!

I guess this is the way things will go with all of the budget cuts! Now if our salary would increase proportionally that would be dreamy. :0)

EslingerCrew11
by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 6:28 PM
Wow
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN