Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Pta info

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 10:59 PM
  • 4 Replies
I was sent home a letter today from my sons school regarding volunteers needed for joining the pta. I kinda have an idea of what it is but can anyone tell me what responsibilities i would have and what they do there? Do they need much of your time? Etc.. It sounds so far like something i want to do but im wondering if with my schedule would i be able to.

toddler boy

by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 10:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 11:09 PM
It really depends. Our PTO asks for help with various events...some don't require much, some require a lot. I just accepted a chair position for a fund raising program. I was told it would be very little work and so far that's true but I see a lot of opportunity for growing it and making more money so I'll probably do more than I originally thought. Right now I have time so I don't mind. If PTO is asking for more than you can give, concentrate your efforts in your kids' classes instaed. Usually the committment is less. Even if you're a room parent, it's busy in the beginning but then not as much throughout the year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MichelleT822
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 11:11 PM

All PTA/PTO depending on where you live are run differently.  I am a board member of the PTO at my DD school.  We have 4 board members and the rest of the people are volunteers.  We ask volunteers to do many different things during the school year depending on how much they want to help. Some don't come to meetings and just want to help out with baking for sales or helping at certain events we host during the year.  The money that our PTO raises through fundraisers and events pay for things like field trip, which without the funding would cost parents around $40 or more per trip, books for the library and equipmentthat the school does not have funding for. If you are unsure about what your PTA is about I encourage you to attend a meeting and see.  And remember that when you get involved with your child's school it sets a great example and is a great way to meet other parents and the teacher in your schools.

DJAKoala
by Debbie on Sep. 4, 2012 at 11:15 PM
1 mom liked this
PTA is a great way to be involved with your kids school. Our school is very flexible. I help volunteer my time when available,your not required to help,there is many parents who work together on certain committees. I love to work on the Book Fair,school store,classroom parties,box tops. Sounds busy but I only help a few hours here and there.
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 11:16 PM

It will probably depend on a factor of things like how many parents have volunteered, how many events will be held etc.  I just signed up to volunteer in dd's class tonight.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)