Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Computers *POLL*

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 11:20 PM
  • 66 Replies

Poll

Question: How do you feel about children having computer time in Pre-K?

Options:

For It

Against It

I Do Not Care

Other...Please Comment

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 130

View Results

How do you feel about children having computer time in Pre-K?

My four-year-old just started Pre-K in a public school and I was shocked and upset to find out that my child would have computer learning time. Thankfully they provided the parents with "OPT OUT" forms to not allow the child to use the computers. I signed the form and will not allow her to use a computer until I say.

I feel as though a child's time in school should be based on actual teaching. Children need to learn to WRITE not to TYPE. They need to be learning math, reading, writing, spelling, science, history, manners, shapes, letters, numbers. Children do not need to be on computers in elementary school, let alone Pre-K.

by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 11:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 11:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I am for it in moderation.  They do need to learn rudimentary motor skills as well as be able to navigate a computer program appropriate for their age.  I worked in a preschool 13 years ago and we had started introducing computer time with a mickey mouse game that taught colors and shapes matching.

tabpaige
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 11:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes I believe that everyone should know now to write and what not.. but I do see the future being without paper... everything is going to be electronic... it seems that typing will get you further than writing.. now the important thing would be grammer..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Velany
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 11:26 PM

DS gets computers in K once a week....and it doesnt bug me really cause he knows how to write and all of that right now.

Proud World Of Warcraft Player..Realm: Bloodhoof
*~*Horde*~* Guild: Champions of DoomQüinn(85) Valerïe(85) Sníx(85)Loserlikeme(85) Korb(85) Kaøs(85) Finchel(85) Klaine(80) 
Samcedes(8)

mommasaint
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:12 AM
2 moms liked this

For it. Here, all testing (like the statewide tests) is done on computers starting in K. I'm very thankful that my kids had learned the basics in Pre-K. They could control the mouse, the volume and understood how to take verbal orders that the computer was telling them.

bmw29
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:15 AM

I think computers are a very important skill to learn in this day and age. I don't really care what they do in P-K though because I don't have a dog in that fight so to speak.

Kris_PBG
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:18 AM
1 mom liked this
My son can have 15 minutes a day on educational programs on the computer in prek.

I am glad they have computers abd regular access.

That is not contrary to best practice at all.
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:21 AM
My dd was computer proficient at 18 months old and ds was computer proficient at 2.5-3. They both need to work on more efficient typing but, otherwise, can do pretty much anything that they want. My dh is a software developer with an internet based business on the side, though.
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 3:45 AM

Quoting tabpaige:

Yes I believe that everyone should know now to write and what not.. but I do see the future being without paper... everything is going to be electronic... it seems that typing will get you further than writing.. now the important thing would be grammer..

Grammar does seem to be slipping in verbal and written communication.  I come from a family that if you do not use the proper structure you will get corrected by an elder whether you are an adult or child.  Us kids like to tease them though and purposely talk badly.

YeahItsJen
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 3:54 AM
2 moms liked this
For it. Computers are an important skill to have now, and the importance is only growing. Plus, I truly believe this generation of kids are naturally gifted with technology.All the mommy friends I know, including myself, have been surprised at how easily the kids catch on to computers and cells phones. Its amazing! So as long as its done in moderation and its educational, I'm all for it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 3:56 AM
1 mom liked this
We had computers at the preschool I worked at. Kids didn't spend a ton of time on them.
now that my son is in kindergarten we are doing computer time a couple of days a week (homeschooled) it is an important skill to have!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN