Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

FIRST Lego League info needed:)

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 3:46 PM
  • 6 Replies
Do any of your children compete in the Lego League? I just found out about this program, (from cafemom, of course;) last night and I'm scrambling to gather info so we can start a new chapter in our town. Any hints or tips would be very much appreciated! Thanks:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 3:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
LivinBlessed
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 4:30 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LivinBlessed
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 5:36 PM
Bumpity bump:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2012 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Our girl scout council sent info about this. Hope it gives you an idea....If you can find companies to sponsor your lego team, it will help...

We are looking to possibly form teams at the following levels: Junior FIRST Lego League (JFLL) girls in grades K-3 FIRST Lego League (FLL) girls in grades 4 – 8 FIRST Tech Challenge (FTC) girls in grades 9 – 12

Girl Scouts of Northern Illinois is seeking funding to help offset the costs of starting up a team, the announcement should be made at the end of the first week of August. There is no guarantee that we will receive the funds or enough funds to cover all of the expenses. Girls may use their troop money and/or parents may help offset the costs of funding a team.

Each team would need to consist of a minimum of 6 girls per team- the suggested maximum is 10 and a minimum of 2 coaches. If GSNI receives the funding, teams will additionally agree to assist with 2 events that impact a minimum of 50 additional members and/or non-members (e.g. demonstrations, workshops, camps); exhibit at NIU STEMfest October 20 (additional information to follow); compete in at least one robotics event/competition; incorporate Girl Scout Journey activities during the robotics season; and assist with seeking press coverage. All girls and adults must be members of Girl Scouts.

Estimated

costs for a new team – based on 2011 team expenses Item

JFLL

FLL

FTC

FIRST

Team Registration Fee

$25.00

$225.00

$275.00

Base Robot Set*

$139.95

$420.00

$650.00

Resource Kit  

$75.00

$199.00

Samantha Wi-Fi Module

$65.00

Playing Field/Table (estimate)

$50.00

$200.00

Additional Robot supplies (optional/estimate)

$150.00

$250.00

Challenge Project supplies

$75.00

IL Registration Fee

?

$70.00

$200.00

T-shirts – estimate

$100.00

$100.00

$100.00

Estimated total cost per team*

*plus shipping, handling and tax

$264.95

$1165.00

$1939.00

LivinBlessed
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 6:00 PM
Oh wow, that's like $300 over my estimate! We're trying to get as close to ten children as possible, to help ease everyone's burden. I'm going to look into some fundraising options right now! Thank you so much for the information!:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Sep. 7, 2012 at 9:15 PM

It's an awesome program. But I know the starting costs can be a lot. 

Kris_PBG
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 9:20 PM
Never heard of it! But ds1 is obsessed with Legos!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN