Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

3 more days until the anniversary of 9/11. Where were you when it happened? (OT)

Posted by on Sep. 8, 2012 at 8:48 PM
  • 69 Replies

At the time I worked 2 jobs so I didn't have time to watch tv, listen to the news or read the newspaper.

I think it happened on a Tuesday and on Thursday I went to go visit my dad in the hosiptal and he had the tv on and that's when I found out about what happened.

by on Sep. 8, 2012 at 8:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy2nicky07
by Member on Sep. 8, 2012 at 8:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I was in my 7th grade English class...a teacher came in and whispered to our teacher so he turned the tv on and we just sat there and watched the coverage until we were dismissed like an hour later.

diaperstodating
by Angel on Sep. 8, 2012 at 8:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I was at home on maternity leave after having my 11 year old son. When I woke up and turned on the tv I saw what happened.

JeremysMom
by on Sep. 8, 2012 at 8:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I was also working two jobs at the time. When it happened I was an assistant teacher in a 2 year old classroom. The classroom was right beside the kitchen and the kitchen ladies were listening to the radio. They were the ones who told us what was going on. Many of the parents got off work early and there were reports of businesses closing for the day. I called my second job to see if they were going to be closing as well (it was a fabric store). They told me no, because they could make a ton of money that night selling the patriotic fabrics, ribbions, etc.

SahmTam
by Tammy on Sep. 8, 2012 at 9:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd just gotten up and had put my then 14-month-old son in his high chair with his breakfast and turned on the tv- the first plane had already hit at that point and the 2nd hit just minutes after I had turned on the tv. I called my mom at her work and they hadn't heard anything at that point. I think I heard about the PA. crash and the DC crash before I had to walk out the door.

We were in the process of building our house and I had to pick out flooring and a few other things for our house that day. It felt like such a stupid, insignificant... even disrespectful... thing to be doing, though it had to be done. The store I was in has tvs over the check out counters. As I was about to check out the first tower fell. I remember driving to my in-laws in a daze (since we live next door to them, so their house was right beside our building site) where I learned the other tower had fallen as well.  

Anyway, stories started rolling in on the news and they were telling some of the personal stories and my sister's husband has the same name as one of the victims. We knew they were supposed to be flying that day and were almost sick until we found out it was not him!!!!

Also, we were ttc a 2nd child and was late and thought I was pregnant. I just wondered what in the world kind of world we'd be bring a baby into! That night at about 11pm I woke up to a bee sting (weird!) and realized I'd gotten my period. I remember feeling so relieved because I felt like I really needed to reevaluate having another baby in the post 9/11 world!

What an emotional day!

Mom2mylilgirlz
by on Sep. 8, 2012 at 9:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Sitting in 7th grade english class when the teacher turned the tv on. Seems like forever ago.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 8, 2012 at 9:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I was in the kitchen cooking breakfast for my 9 month old.  I had the tv tuned into GMA and was staring in horror as the second plane hit the tower on live tv.

I'm not sure how anyone could have missed it since everything in SW PA closed down early that day.  My mother got locked in the dmv because she was there to get her license photo taken.  They locked those who were there in and finished them up, but didn't let anyone else in.

I will be at a PTA meeting on Sept 11 in the evening and am debating whether it would be appropriate to have a moment of silence for the victims of 9/11 after the Pledge of Allegiance.

DixieL
by Member on Sep. 8, 2012 at 9:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I also did this post on Mom Confessions a few weeks ago. That was the most replies I have ever gotten. Everyone remembers where they were and what they were doing. I was asleep and my husband woke me up and told me.

Strega
by on Sep. 8, 2012 at 9:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I was at work, at the Drive-Thru (Bess Eaton). A regular Customer was at the Window with the Radio on just after the first plane hit, as we listened the second one hit, and we held that Drive-Thru up for probably a half hour just listening in shock.

I went home soon after, as did the Husband (before we were married), and we stayed glued to the TV for the rest of the Day.

Daisypath - (oQoi)

Follow Me on Pinterest

notjstanothrmom
by Member on Sep. 8, 2012 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I was in 8th grade. We were just settling into first period and they turned the TV on and we all thought it was part of our lesson. I am so grateful to have been younger and some what shielded.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SahmTam
by Tammy on Sep. 8, 2012 at 9:32 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting steelcrazy:

I was in the kitchen cooking breakfast for my 9 month old.  I had the tv tuned into GMA and was staring in horror as the second plane hit the tower on live tv.

I'm not sure how anyone could have missed it since everything in SW PA closed down early that day.  My mother got locked in the dmv because she was there to get her license photo taken.  They locked those who were there in and finished them up, but didn't let anyone else in.

I will be at a PTA meeting on Sept 11 in the evening and am debating whether it would be appropriate to have a moment of silence for the victims of 9/11 after the Pledge of Allegiance.

I would think so! :-)

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)