Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How much to they know about it?

Posted by on Sep. 8, 2012 at 10:18 PM
  • 183 Replies
1 mom liked this

9/11, that is. Do your kids know what happened? Have you let them see any of the footage when it's shown?

I've made a point of making sure all 3 of my kids know. They've seen the news clips, and I've explained it to them on various age-appropriate levels. I don't know why I feel so strongly that they understand it, maybe it's b/c it happened on my b-day, maybe b/c just 6 yrs earlier, dh and I were standing on the observation deck of the WTC. . .

by on Sep. 8, 2012 at 10:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SahmTam
by Tammy on Sep. 8, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Yes, they know. We had told them about it before, but last year in school they had discussions about it around the time of the 10 year anniversary.

hotmomofmakayla
by on Sep. 8, 2012 at 10:27 PM
6 moms liked this

None!!  She wasn't born yet!!  She is only 5 y/o.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Sep. 8, 2012 at 10:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Everything! Mine are older tho...but I never hid it from them and made a point to talk about it. DH is a police officer and ex~army, my borther and dad are firemen. It hit close to home.

I want them to stay alert and aware!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 8, 2012 at 10:34 PM

My dd is only 6, and ds2 is 8, and they know.I realize I'm probably the odd one out in making sure my kids know about it and learn from it from a young age.

Quoting hotmomofmakayla:

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 8, 2012 at 10:52 PM
My oldest was 9 months at the time, but both boys know all about it. We talk about 9/11 at home and it has also been part of their school curriculum. I'm not sure why you'd keep it from your kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GwenMB
by Gwen on Sep. 8, 2012 at 10:56 PM

My boys are 5 & 3.  The 5 yo is aware of it - at least, he paid attention to the little bit of news coverage of the 10 year anniversary that he saw last year.  Our town has a 9/11 memorial (a beam from the WTC) that was dedicated last year & we went to the ceremony.  So the 5 yo is aware, at least a little, we'll discuss it more each year I'm sure.

robynjavan7104
by Bronze Member on Sep. 8, 2012 at 11:00 PM
My son is 8 and he has known about it since he was about 3. I just let him watch the actual footage last year. We've been to the memorial and we went by ground zero more than once every year. He loves to see how the freedom tower is coming along.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melissam78
by on Sep. 8, 2012 at 11:02 PM
My kids know about 9/11 and I let them watch all the footage I could find,it's important for them to know about that tragic event
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Sep. 8, 2012 at 11:03 PM
Definitely not the odd one. My oldest was 3 1/2, middle DS was 4 days from being 1yo. DD...not a glimmer...lol

I walked about it/watch every year. I'm glad they are old enough to get into detail. I want to take them to NY to see the memorial.

Quoting wakymom:

My dd is only 6, and ds2 is 8, and they know.I realize I'm probably the odd one out in making sure my kids know about it and learn from it from a young age.

Quoting hotmomofmakayla:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JeremysMom
by on Sep. 8, 2012 at 11:09 PM

My son knows about it. Last year, I was the reading parent the week of 9/11. I read the book "The Man Who Walked Between the Towers" and was so surprised to find out that only one or two kids knew about 9/11. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)