Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How much to they know about it?

Posted by   + Show Post

9/11, that is. Do your kids know what happened? Have you let them see any of the footage when it's shown?

I've made a point of making sure all 3 of my kids know. They've seen the news clips, and I've explained it to them on various age-appropriate levels. I don't know why I feel so strongly that they understand it, maybe it's b/c it happened on my b-day, maybe b/c just 6 yrs earlier, dh and I were standing on the observation deck of the WTC. . .

by on Sep. 8, 2012 at 10:18 PM
Replies (21-30):
Cherish77
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 4:08 AM
We haven't discussed it much. I told dd about it a little while watching "Remember Me", but I don't think she remembers the conversation we had. It is also very hard for me to talk about that kind of information without crying, it's very emotional.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
endurablemist
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 5:40 AM
Yes my kids (9&2) know about it. We watch programs about it. We have been to Shanksville several times.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chymerra
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 8:05 AM

My DD (6) knows the basics of what happened. We had several people die on the flight who were from our community, so the schools have a 9/11 remberance ceremony.

My DS (4) doesn't know anything.

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 8:10 AM

My son has seen footage; he did not see it when it actually happened because I strongly felt it was inappropriate for a 3 year old (unfortunately, several of my kindergarten parents did not share my feelings and there were a lot of very traumatized 5 year olds that year).  My daughter is 6; I feel its not appropriate for her to watch the footage but she does know about it.  There are scenes from the footage I can't get out of my head; I don't want that for her at this age.

corrinacs
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 8:22 AM

They weren't born yet, so I don't think they really have an idea of why that day is so important.

maidjillian
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 8:28 AM
2 moms liked this

Nothing!  And my dad worked at the Pentagon (he got out).  My oldest son is only 5.  He doesn't need to know about stuff like this yet- too heavy.  Let him be a kid for as long as possible.

Strega
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Our Kids are 9 and 6. They know a lot about it because they started showing interest in it last year. I included that in some of their Studies, and they also watched some of the 10th Anniversary things with me last year. They have also seen some of the footage because they asked to.

It's part of our History, and since I'm in charge of their Education, it's important for them to know about it all.

Daisypath - (oQoi)

Follow Me on Pinterest

natesmom1228
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 8:37 AM

No, my son doesn't really know that much about it. Mostly because it isn't a topic of conservsation.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 9:06 AM

I'm curious since many of you said you haven't told your kids.  Don't their schools have a moment of silence and/or a lesson on Sept. 11th?  I know at our schools, including the elementaries, they stop at the precise moment together and have a moment of silence.  Then there is a lesson about the day and the pledge, etc. I understand not wanting to burden them as parents, but it's a HUGE part of history and shared at all the campuses I know. 

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 9:12 AM

I was wondering this as well.  I know that our kids learn about 9/11 in school.  Then again, it may be because we are close to the Flight 93 crash site.  

Quoting mjande4:

I'm curious since many of you said you haven't told your kids.  Don't their schools have a moment of silence and/or a lesson on Sept. 11th?  I know at our schools, including the elementaries, they stop at the precise moment together and have a moment of silence.  Then there is a lesson about the day and the pledge, etc. I understand not wanting to burden them as parents, but it's a HUGE part of history and shared at all the campuses I know. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)