Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Responsibility Chart!

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 9:08 PM
  • 13 Replies

Do your kiddos have one? If so, what are their ages & what do you have on their charts?

Elijah (age 5) has become interested in money, and how much things cost, like toys he wants. SO & I figured he is old enough to start doing chores & earning his own money so he can save for things that he wants. 

I was browsing Pinterest to see if I could find any cool ideas, to kind of keep him interested. He came in & said, 

"Cool Mom, is that to see how many good days I have?" 

I said, "Kind of, its your responsibility chart. You need to start helping me out around the house doing stuff." 

He replied, "Aw Mom, I dont want to. I'm just a kid! Don't break my heart!" lol 

Edit:

I was thinking about doing things that he does already. This is what I sent to SO, it may change depending on what he thinks. He'd earn 10 cents per chore, up to a dollar a day. 

1. Get dressed/put dirty clothes in laundry basket.
2. Have a good day at Kinder/ weekend: Clean Xbox & Wii area.
3. Clean room.
4. Do homework/weekend:do workbook
5. Help Mommy feed Kovu.
6. Help Mommy clean Kovu's litter box.
7. Set the table.
8. Put away your clean clothes.
9. Get a bath.
10. Go to bed on time.

by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 9:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sunflowers12
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 9:15 PM
No, not really just developed certain responsibilities and they became habit and 90% of the time they remember to do the things.. not that its much but its better then nothing!!
TristansMom440
by Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this

My son just turned 5.  We don't have a responsibility chart, but we do have a behavior chart.  Actually he wanted to make it himself, LOL.  This is our home version of the one he has in Kindergarten.Each time he breaks a rule, the clip moves one section to right.  When he does something correct, it goes back a section.  Each day starts on Sunny.  If he gets so many sunny days per week, he gets something special...like a happy meal or a cheap toy/book/craft he saw at the store.  :)

chocolat-smiles
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 9:16 PM

i don't have a chart set up but my 8 yr old has daily chores (take out the garbage) and responsabilities ( clean his room, make his bed)

Tracys2
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 9:17 PM

That is so cute!

I'm actually afraid of charts. I never had one as a kid- always got my stuff done- and now I'm afraid I'd forget to use their chore charts and it'd be a waste or I'd set a bad example (note- I do get lunches packed & homework done, but it takes me ages to learn a new chore). I wanted to buy one the other day at the store, but they were WAY overpriced so I didn't.  They should cost like $1 for an 8x10, and they are way more. Maybe I'll make one?

My son's/daughter's daily responsibilities (5&7): Get up, eat breakfast, pack box & folder & homework, dressed & ready for bus on time. School. Homework. Clean living room. Set table. Eat/scrape plates and into sink, brush teeth, read for school, bed. Weekly includes room-cleaning and help with other chores as/when requested (usually cleaning the table, sweeping/mopping/dusting, helping with laundry).

TristansMom440
by Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 9:17 PM
1 mom liked this

^^I should add....the other 3 clips in that pic are for the cat & mommy & daddy b/c he insisted we needed clips, too!!  ROFL

lovinmykiddo07
by Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 9:23 PM

I was thinking of making one too. Like, maybe going to a craft store & letting him pick out a piece of scrapbook paper he likes, frame it, and use dry erase on the glass of the frame to write the rules & days & mark whether he did it or not.. Idk yet.. 

Quoting Tracys2:

That is so cute!

I'm actually afraid of charts. I never had one as a kid- always got my stuff done- and now I'm afraid I'd forget to use their chore charts and it'd be a waste or I'd set a bad example (note- I do get lunches packed & homework done, but it takes me ages to learn a new chore). I wanted to buy one the other day at the store, but they were WAY overpriced so I didn't.  They should cost like $1 for an 8x10, and they are way more. Maybe I'll make one?

My son's/daughter's daily responsibilities (5&7): Get up, eat breakfast, pack box & folder & homework, dressed & ready for bus on time. School. Homework. Clean living room. Set table. Eat/scrape plates and into sink, brush teeth, read for school, bed. Weekly includes room-cleaning and help with other chores as/when requested (usually cleaning the table, sweeping/mopping/dusting, helping with laundry).

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 9:36 PM
1 mom liked this

We have a melissa and doug one which i love.  It is magnetic and 3-5 levels of happy faces. 

http://www.melissaanddoug.com/magnetic-responsibility-learning-chart

Magnetic Responsibility Chart - Chore Chart

LucyHarper
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 11:23 PM

We have a responsibility chart for my nine year old brother (my younger siblings live with me), the other kids don't need them but he needs a visual reminder. They don't get paid though, they are their responsibilities, things they should be doing. If they want money, they sell things, like lemonade, or do chores around the neighborhood.

maidjillian
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 11:15 AM

My son has had one since he was 4 and he really loves it.  We don't give him money yet.  We use the Melissa and Doug responsibility chart.  I love it!  You can change the jobs he has to do every week. 

http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Deluxe-Magnetic-Responsibility/dp/B000NTZL7U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347290044&sr=8-1&keywords=melissa+and+doug+chart

natesmom1228
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 11:16 AM

I sometimes leave my son a chore list, but that is only if I haven't done everything already. He does have to make his bed and clean his room on the weekends.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)