Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

new school year

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 5:38 PM
  • 10 Replies

i realize we are only about 3 weeks into our school year.  my son is already showing signs of frustration when it comes to his math.  we are having trouble getting him to be able to his rocket math in a minte.  he doesn't meet his specified goal.  He tells me he feels stupid in math.,  on a good day he does well but when he gets frustrated he shuts down and then he can't do it.  what do you suggest for us to do to help him with this.  he is a forth grader.  he hates to have to do any extra here at home believe me i have tried

by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 5:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SahmTam
by Tammy on Sep. 10, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Do you think he'd practice at home if his teacher specifically assigned it as homework? My kids' teachers would send rocket math papers home if they didn't meet their goal after the 2nd try at school and they had to do three 1 minute timings of it here at home and I had to initial the paper.

My oldest would probably resist if it was just me trying to get him to do extra practice, but would be more complient if the teacher assigned it.

proud2bmom128
by New Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 5:57 PM

the teacher does send home the rocket math for them to work on if they don't meet their goals. I don't know if he woudl or not.  it seems that he already has so much homework to do.  it seems to take him around 2 hours to get everything done as it is. 

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 5:59 PM

I don't know what Rocket Math is, I'm assuming that it is the curriculum that your school uses.  Our teachers recommend the site Cool Math to help the kids become more proficient in math.  

QueenCreole313
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 6:01 PM

It sounds like he needs extra help in math. Do you do flash cards with him? I have a math app on my ipad with music and pictures. It helps my son with basic math (addition, subtration, multiplication and division). Also, Kumon books are really helpful. Math is all about repetition. It takes my son a while to do his homework too, not because his teacher assign too much but because he just won't focus. I sit with him to see what'a taking so long, usually it's him daydreaming! So, it's me screaming "FOCUS!" every 5 minutes!

Hope this helps! baby dust

sunflowers12
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 6:04 PM

lots of changes in math and it makes it harder on us cause many times we didnt ever do it the way they teach it now so its just as frustrating for us.. i would talk to his math teacher and ask her about the lessons and if they are tutoring after school certain days or not.. in tx they do provide tutoring by the teachers after school for about an hour or so once a eek it i know from experience that it greatly helps out...

good luckgood

SahmTam
by Tammy on Sep. 10, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

I don't know what Rocket Math is, I'm assuming that it is the curriculum that your school uses.  Our teachers recommend the site Cool Math to help the kids become more proficient in math.  

It's just an exercise to try to teach them to recognize their math facts quickly. In our school it takes a short amount of time and usually counts for very little of their grade (if any?) because for some kids it actually has to do more with how fast they can write, than how fast they can figure.

They work on addition first and (at our school at least) have papers from A-Z. A would have super easy facts like addition with 0s. Z has harder ones, usually up to adding with numbers from 11-20. Each time they do a page they are timed for a minute and have a goal to meet (determined through testing at the beginning of the school year) of how many they get (and get right). If they meet their goal on set A, they move to B, etc. Once they complete through Z they move to subtraction, then muliplication, then division.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

SahmTam
by Tammy on Sep. 10, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Quoting proud2bmom128:

the teacher does send home the rocket math for them to work on if they don't meet their goals. I don't know if he woudl or not.  it seems that he already has so much homework to do.  it seems to take him around 2 hours to get everything done as it is. 

I'd just talk to his teacher to see what she says about how critical this is. In our school I don't even think rocket math counts toward their grade since it's such a high pressure, fast-paced exercise and for a lot of kids the act of forming the numbers on paper is what takes them so long even if they know the answer right away. At our school it's just an activity to keep them on their toes so to speak and to encourage them being able to recall facts quickly. If he is doing well in the other areas of math the teacher probably won't be terribly concerned. :-)

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 6:48 PM

http://www.coolmath-games.com/

It has fun games to help them practice math facts. Ds2 used it a lot last yr in 2nd gr when he had to practice his math facts for 10 mins each day for homework. He had Rocket Math as well.

proud2bmom128
by New Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Thank you everyone for your replies.  Yes Rocket math is just for helping them get faster at their math facts.  It's the pressure of the timed that gets to him.  when we just talk here at home about random stuff and if it includes math figures he spits them out at us before we even get done talking.  According to the testing that the school does my son is only testing still at a second grade level in math and third grade level in reading.  We repeated 2nd grade because he wasnt testing where he should be so obviously repeating 2nd grade did no good for my child.  Overall my son is a B student so I am not too worried and we are going to look at getting him a tutor this coming summer or having him do extra work here at home to keep his skills in check for 5th grade.  School is just so frustrating for all of us and i just don't know what i can do to help him get better other than what we are doing

PinkButterfly66
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Touch Math.  http://www.touchmath.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=freestuff.welcome

http://www.touchmath.com/images/pdf/TM432.pdf

Touch math helps kids with math by putting "touch points" on the numbers that the kids count to solve a problem.  For multiple digit math, the numbers are separated in lined columns that extend down below the equation to help keep the numbers lined up.  Touch math was a really valuable tool for my daughter.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)