Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Those of you that believe in starting kindergarten later....

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 6:45 PM
  • 56 Replies

Quick question. I was thinking about my 3yo today and starting kindergarten. Her birthday is right in the middle of the year. I hadn't thought yet about starting her in kindergarten but was thinking today since we are changing her preschool. Anyway...when their bday is in the middle of the school year do you always start them at 5? Part of me says that 5 is just still so young to be starting kindergarten, I really like those that start kindergarten at 6. But another part of me doesn't want her to be TOO old for her class. I think it might be weird to turn 7 in kindergarten? That would put her turning 19 halfway through her senior year of HS and maybe that seems too old? I had a friend that turned 19 right after I turned 18, like the first week in June....but I'm thinking February is way to early to be 19 in HS.....

Anyway,I'm sure I will start her at 5 even though it seems young. I just hadn't thought of it before, wondered what all of you had done/will do for "middle year" kids.

by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 6:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
M4LG5
by Gold Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 6:51 PM

It depends on your child.  My oldest daughter's birthday is in July.  By that time she had been in full-time preschool and was VERY ready for school.  If I would have kept her back another year, I don't think she would have benefitted from preschool and it would be a waste of money.  My twins' birthday is in May and I started them at 5.  They were also ready and I didn't want them to turn 7 while they were in kindergarten either. 

SahmTam
by Tammy on Sep. 10, 2012 at 6:53 PM

My daughter is my only middle year child. Her b-day's in January. She started at age 5. It's funny because for me that decision was way easier than my July-birthday boys. I started my oldest boy at age 6 and my youngest at 5.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 7:00 PM

My kids have Jan and Mar b-days. All 3 started at kindergarten at 5 y/o.

caviva14
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 7:11 PM
2 moms liked this
My son's Birthday is in sept 30. He made the cut off day by one day. So he went to preschool at 4. Academically he did very well but he was the youngest in his class and he was very immature. He wanted to play all the time. So he was going to go to kindergarten at 5 but did A little research and decided to hold him back. The benefits were much greater. He is now in second grade and he is 8. He is doing so well. He Is the tallest and he always taking care if his friends. He feels he is like their older brother. Holding him back was a great desicion. But everybody is different. You have to see if us the best for your child. And don't think about this year. Think about when she goes to high school. I didn't want my son to be the last to develop. High school is hard enough to be the last to physical develop. Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KairisMama
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 7:22 PM
My DD turned 6 two weeks ago and started first grade. She went to preschool so I felt she was ready for K at 5.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Sep. 10, 2012 at 7:29 PM

My son has a Sept birthday and is one of the oldest in his class. He was 5 when he started kindergarten, but he turned 6 shortly after it.

As he's getting older, it is weird how he'll be one of the first kids to drive and he will be a legal adult for almost all of his senior year. I think it worked out well for him that we weren't able to push him to start early, but at the same time, I don't think I would want him being any older than his classmates than what he is already.

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 7:56 PM

My son was one of the youngest in his class and did awesome.  My daughter is one of the oldest in her class.  Our cutoff is 9/1 and her birthday is at the end of the month so she was 6 for most of kindergarten.  Unless she needed to be held back because of educational issues, I would not want her to be 7 in kindergarten or 19 in high school.  

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Yes I always start them at 5.  If they need to repeat then it will be first grade I hold them back in.  Think about it if you start them at 6 and they turn 7 in kindergarten.  Then they will not be graduating HS until they are 19yrs old. 

My 14yr old will be graduating at 17yrs old.

taz1993
by Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 8:06 PM
Dd turned 5 on August 4th. Started kindergarten on August 20th. Cut off here is 9/8
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lindsayhoy0612
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 8:08 PM
DS started today and he will be 6 on the 25tg
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)