Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

My son is in Kindergarten.  He is a picky and slow eater.  I get him up at 6:30 (school starts at 7:45) so he can wake up and eat breakfast.  Only thing is, he hardly eats.  He says he's not hungry.  I'll even put it in a zip lock bag to take to school (usually he eats a waffle with no syrup or anything or toast), but he doesn't eat it. 

He hardly eats as it is, so this is really nothing new.  I just worry about him and his brain functioning at school on an empty stomach!  No fuel for learning!  He goes to lunch at 11:15 am, and even then he only eats his peanut butter sandwich and doesn't touch the fruit I send.

Oh, he at least drinks his milk.

Any suggestions??

by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 8:54 AM
Replies (21-23):
aetrom
by Gold Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 10:57 AM

you might talk to the teacher. I know that my middle nephew is like that and the teacher will allow him to eat in the classroom. have NO idea how that works and I think it is silly. lol. but it might help?

kelliewhitney
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 4:11 PM

My kids are the same way. On the weekends, they are not hungry until about 9am, so I get that they are not ready for breakfast at 7am. I'm not either! However, they have to eat.

My youngest LOVES cereal and homemade breakfast burritos, so she's easy. The other seem to expect a freshly cooked meal of bacon or sausage, pancakes or waffles, all of the stuff we eat on weekends. I don;t have time to make all of that each morning (yes, I often cook pancakes ahead and freeze them, but still...)

For us, smoothies (made at home with yogurt, millk, strawberries, a bananna and a touch of honey) are a godsend. They have learned that they must eat before leaving and they will eat what I serve. Our home is not a Denny's!

It's a hard lesson to learn, but until they can make their own breakfast, they must eat what I serve. My oldest HATES cereal, but there are days when that is all we have available. He walks to school with friends and knows that he has to eat something before he leaves. That is a great motivator!

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Get some carnation instant breakfast mix. My dd was picky like that when she was 4/5.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)