Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sick and tired of having to deal with Lice!

Posted by   + Show Post

We are only in our second month of school and I'm already having to deal with lice.  She went the entire summer not getting them, thats with being around the 5 children at her father house, 3 of my sister's children, her baseball team, and other children at a learning center.  I had to keep my dd home from school at least if not more than 5 times last school year to treat her for lice.  My dd and I both HATE having to treat for them and top it off I'll have breathing problems for 2 to 3 days after using the sprays on the furniture.  I also vacuum and bag all of her stuffed animals.  With my health problems this can exhaust me to the point I can not do anything else for several day.

My biggest problem is with her school.  I've had to fight them to make it an excused day from school. I've had to fight them to do head checks in the classroom, they only did it once last year, this was only after I was on the phone in tears with the assistant principal. They will not notify parents of an outbreak.  Her teachers only responce to her having lice was to tell her, "It's not good to miss school on Fridays".  I've been trying to find a phone number for someone in the school system who is in charge of it's nurse without any luck.  I've been trying to find any policy other than the one line in the policy manual which is very vague.  Last year when I begged the school nurse to do a head check she only told me that their policy is not to do them.  When I asked her where I could find this written policy she couldn't or wouldn't tell me. 

Anyone else out there that has had to fight their schools over lice issues?

by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 9:57 AM
Replies (21-23):
kelliewhitney
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Lice is not an idication of unsanitary conditions. My mom is a nurse, and fastidious housekeeper, and I got lice in grade 2. My home is NOT tidy, and my kids have never had lice. It has to do with exposure.

There is a company called The Hair Fairies who will treat the lice for you. I don't know if they are nation wide.

If a child has head lice, they need to be home from school until no nits are seen. In our school, they are sent home immediately and cannot be readmitted (even with a Dr.s note) until the school nurse checks their scalp. We always get a note home if there is lice (or any other communicable disease) in the classroom.

Regarding "missing school on Fridays"... first of all, do they want a kid with lice on campus? Secondly, my experience is that many Fridays are fairly deviod of instruction.

Moms_Angels1960
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 4:11 PM
Most schools don't notify parents when there is lice has something to do with the privacy act. Anyway Tea Tree oil in the shampoo, They don't. Like Coconut so shampoo with coconut shampoo.
I also read that you can use Flea & Tick shampoo on their head.
It's tough havng to go through everything. In all of my years of being a parent I never thought I would have to go through that.
Just use the dryer a lot, and the pp gade lots of great advice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
debbie26
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 7:15 AM

Its sucks i remember my days of having it and my parents tried everything cause i have thick hair they tried rid,mayonnaise,even gasoline , yeah fucking gas to kill them and get rid of the eggs and i finally was lice free but this took months to get rid of at that......My DD has to have this oil in her hair i work into the scalp or her scalp flakes like no other making it look like shes got the WORST dandruff i have ever seen so his stuff helps and shes been getting it since she was 3 and shes almost 7 now, so i hope that lice wont be able to stay in her hair cause it kinda makes her hair a lil greasy looking that'swhy i pull it up everyday then it looks fine....But her school check's if a kid is scratching their hair..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)