Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Moms with more than one child...How do you manage all their school papers?

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 9:25 PM
  • 38 Replies
I have three children in elementary school. Every day they come eager to show me what schoolwork they completed as well as school information papers for me to read and keep.
Having three of the same thing often gets to be too much, so I have a desk bin for scrap paper that i toss the extras in and they can use for homework or whatever.
But their schoolwork can be a bit much as well. They like for me to look at their 100s on their math worksheets etc and I like to recognize their good effort and achievements. But how do I do that without having a mess of papers everywhere?

Last school year I used a hanging file folder for each child. At the end of the week their papers would go in. The end of the month we would keep the important stuff and clear out what was no longer needed. It would either be reused as scrap paper or recycled with the newspapers etc. I also have whiteboards/bulletin boards set up in their bedrooms. I use those for them to display their "proud work" (100s, As etc) almost as a self-motivator. As for the papers that are for me to look over and keep, I use my accordion file to manage them, either by child or by month. This year they also have a folder in their backpacks for them to put in their daily completed work. From there we go through at the end of the week, what they want to keep, and what makes sense to keep, goes into the hanging file folder, the rest turns into scrap for reuse and the cycle continues. (weekly/monthly purging, scrapping, etc) I guess it's working so far. They seem to be able to follow the routine easily, which is important.

What tips and tricks do you have for managing all the papers your children bring home on a daily basis?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 9:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Each child has a basket in my office that is their "in box".  They toss all of their papers in there that I need to review, we have a different basket for things that need to be signed and/or returned to school quickly.  I generally go through their "in boxes" onces a week and get rid of pretty much everything after I have looked at it.  I don't save much at all.  

My oldest son does need to keep study guides and notes from his chapter lessons for his end of unit tests, those he keeps in a basket on his desk in his bedroom and they get purged once the unit test is completed.

diaperstodating
by Angel on Sep. 13, 2012 at 9:54 PM

My youngest son started Pre K so now I have four boys in four different schools. I don't have a system that works so I am just here to read the answers and get help with managing/ not losing papers, and keeping their work but not the clutter. 

Bump

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Sep. 13, 2012 at 9:57 PM

I look, I recycle. 
If they want to show dad a paper when he gets home from work, it better go back in the backpack. Any papers left laying around will find the blue bin. I have HUGE issues with flamable clutter.
As far as what I need to hold onto, I have a file in my file cabinet "current school year." It has the little hand outs from Open House, or that come home the first few weeks of school that I file in that. At the end of the year the contents hits the recycle bin, and the file is ready for the next.
Calendars get hung on a cork board in my dining room (focal point), with any permission slips, requests for special items etc.....
My older sons that need to hold onto things for tests (Our state social studies exam covers 2 yrs, so they want to hold the notes from 9th grade for 10th). If it gets in my path, it goes.

I have 5.... 12th grade, 8th grade, 5th grade, 1st grade and kinder. 

workoutmom2b1g
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 9:57 PM

I am interested to read answers too. My oldest just started PreK and will have a few more to follow not soon after. Love your post OP!

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Sep. 13, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Quoting diaperstodating:

My youngest son started Pre K so now I have four boys in four different schools. I don't have a system that works so I am just here to read the answers and get help with managing/ not losing papers, and keeping their work but not the clutter. 

Bump

that was me two years ago, with one at hoem still....

last year it was 5 kids, 4 schools

I am down to 5 kids and 3 schools now....lol

Stephannie, wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex
full-time Auntie to Carly-Ann

New York Moms
Join us on The New York Moms Group! - - NY Moms Group Mod

Sunshine2plus2
by Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 10:00 PM

If its important its hangs on the fridge. The rest to the trash. Ill also hang a A paper for a week on the Fridge. 4 kids and dont have room for all the paperwork they bring home!

LucyHarper
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 10:02 PM

I have a four year old son in kindergarten and guardianship of my three younger siblings, ages 17, 13, and 9, in grades 11th, 8th, and 5th, so four kids in school. I have a double sided folder for each, on the left side I put fliers and papers sent home, information about school, and on the right side I put their grades and homework, if it gets full I go through it and dump out what we don't need. I write upcoming meetings and things on the calender.

lini1008
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 10:02 PM
I look, I recycle.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 10:27 PM
My kids are color coded. Each kid has a different color. They each have a folder that the work/notes go into in the office. We keep ALL graded assignments until the end of the quarter. Mistakes happen and i want my kids to understand it's THEIR responsibility to show the teacher. It hasn't happened more than twice in 9 years of school, but it was the difference between an A and a B. At the quarter, after grades are final, then I toss/recycle. My kids have the same colors for the giant calendar/whiteboard we have too. It keeps things running smoothly.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 11:23 PM
We don't have to save graded assignments and tests because the grades are available online, most times before you get the actual paper back. Once I get the actual graded paper, I check to make sure the same grade is also online, and then toss it. Report cards are calculated and printed from the online grades, so if it is correct their report card will also be correct.

Quoting mjande4:

My kids are color coded. Each kid has a different color. They each have a folder that the work/notes go into in the office. We keep ALL graded assignments until the end of the quarter. Mistakes happen and i want my kids to understand it's THEIR responsibility to show the teacher. It hasn't happened more than twice in 9 years of school, but it was the difference between an A and a B. At the quarter, after grades are final, then I toss/recycle. My kids have the same colors for the giant calendar/whiteboard we have too. It keeps things running smoothly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)