Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

When you see the teacher out and about...

Posted by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 9:28 AM
Max
  • 277 Replies
1 mom liked this

If you run into your child's teacher at a store, restaurant, or other public place what do you do?

Do you think about the line between a polite hello and invading the teacher's personal time?

by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 9:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Sep. 15, 2012 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this

For the record, I'm not complaining. 

I live pretty for from where I work, so I seldom run into my students in town. When I do I am happy to chat. It happens so rarely I really don't feel put out. 

But friends who live closer to the school can't run an errand without having an impromptu parent conference in the frozen foods section of the grocery story. 

Cindy18
by Cruella on Sep. 15, 2012 at 9:32 AM
17 moms liked this
I say HI and that's it unless the teacher starts more of a conversation. Sometimes I don't even act like I see them, just depends on my mood.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Star127
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this
If the see me i say hi or wave, if they dont i just move on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Gold Member on Sep. 15, 2012 at 9:36 AM
2 moms liked this
Most of them (past and current), I will say hi but never talk about school stuff. There is one teacher my daughter had that we are more like friends so we talk about a lot of things. I actually saw her last weekend at the soccer fields and we chatted it up for about 20 minutes....working out (she is also a fitness trainer), mom stuff, etc.

But, overall, I don't use that time as a conference.unless they bring it up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Sep. 15, 2012 at 9:36 AM
9 moms liked this

Quoting Cindy18:

I say HI and that's it unless the teacher starts more of a conversation. Sometimes I don't even act like I see them, just depends on my mood.

You're the mom ducking behind the potato bin so the teacher doesn't see you!

jen113000
by Jenna on Sep. 15, 2012 at 9:37 AM
7 moms liked this
I would most likely not say anything except a hi. I wouldn't ask questions about school or my child. That's just wrong. I can email the teacher or call her if I want to know things.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vermontmoms
by Silver Member on Sep. 15, 2012 at 9:38 AM
Depends on the teacher. If we are friends then a more stop and chat is fine if wanted by both parties otherwise just a wave to be polite.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CANDYLC
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 9:38 AM
It would depend on the teacher. My sons algebra teacher is also his best friends mother so of course I would be more talkative with her. Others I would probably just say hello and go about my business
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 15, 2012 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this

This is one of my biggest problems.  A lot of our teachers live in our community and the fact that I'm very involved with the school, makes it a perfect storm when we meet out in public.  lol  We're usually not talking about my kids though, just other school issues, since most consider me a part of the faculty.  I also have the issue of having other parents stop me out in public to ask me questions, offer suggestions, and just chit chat about school issues all the time as well.  A simple trip to get milk can take me 30 minutes.

extremelibrary
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 9:42 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't run in to the teachers often. But when I do, it's a polite hi.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)