Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My fifth grader brought home letter stating that for their government and revolution unit in school they will be reading The hunger games book. They are requiring a permission slip to read this but I have not read these books and am not sure which way to go. Any advice ? Or thoughts if you've read them?
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 1:14 PM
Replies (11-20):
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Sep. 15, 2012 at 2:30 PM
If my son didn't have anxiety issues I would have no problem with that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VaLaRiE
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 2:31 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't think it's appropriate for kids at all. I am hoping my son is never asked to read that cause it's a NO! How does hunger games even relate to history?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JeremysMom
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 2:32 PM
4 moms liked this
Have you read the books?

Quoting VaLaRiE:

I don't think it's appropriate for kids at all. I am hoping my son is never asked to read that cause it's a NO! How does hunger games even relate to history?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrazedMomof2
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 2:33 PM
2 moms liked this
No said anything about relating to history.

I think it would be a great tie to learn about government like another poster mentioned.

Have you read them?

Quoting VaLaRiE:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
idareyou
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 2:34 PM
2 moms liked this

I have a 5th grader who reads ahead of her age, but I won't let her read those yet - as long as I can control it, she won't read them until she's in high school. 10 is too young for some kids to understand some of that stuff IMO.

banana-bear
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 2:35 PM
The Lottery by Shirley Jackson. I read that in 4th grade.

OP, I have read the books and find nothing wrong with them for her age group.

Quoting GwenMB:

Did any of you read that short story about the village that did a lottery every year & killed someone from their village?  Each man selected a stone & whomever got the one with the red dot, their family did a second drawing & whomever got the red dot stone was stoned to death by everyone else.

I don't remember the name of the story or who wrote it or any class discussion when we read it in 9th grade.  All I remember is being very disturbed by the story.  It still really bothers me almost 30 years later.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KairisMama
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2012 at 2:35 PM
Id be fine with it. Its a good book. 5 th is old enough Imo.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
banana-bear
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 2:39 PM
2 moms liked this
It's a government class and it most certainly relates.

Quoting VaLaRiE:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Sep. 15, 2012 at 2:47 PM
I've read the books and all three saw the movie. While my sensitive 4th grader criedafter the movie (for all of two minutes? It did lead to a very in depth discussion of government, rebellion, treatng people differently based on where they live, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommasaint
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 3:21 PM

My 4th grader has read the Hunger games Triology. I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN