Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
My fifth grader brought home letter stating that for their government and revolution unit in school they will be reading The hunger games book. They are requiring a permission slip to read this but I have not read these books and am not sure which way to go. Any advice ? Or thoughts if you've read them?
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 1:14 PM
Replies (11-20):
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Sep. 15, 2012 at 2:30 PM
If my son didn't have anxiety issues I would have no problem with that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VaLaRiE
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 2:31 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't think it's appropriate for kids at all. I am hoping my son is never asked to read that cause it's a NO! How does hunger games even relate to history?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JeremysMom
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 2:32 PM
4 moms liked this
Have you read the books?

Quoting VaLaRiE:

I don't think it's appropriate for kids at all. I am hoping my son is never asked to read that cause it's a NO! How does hunger games even relate to history?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrazedMomof2
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 2:33 PM
2 moms liked this
No said anything about relating to history.

I think it would be a great tie to learn about government like another poster mentioned.

Have you read them?

Quoting VaLaRiE:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
idareyou
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 2:34 PM
2 moms liked this

I have a 5th grader who reads ahead of her age, but I won't let her read those yet - as long as I can control it, she won't read them until she's in high school. 10 is too young for some kids to understand some of that stuff IMO.

banana-bear
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 2:35 PM
The Lottery by Shirley Jackson. I read that in 4th grade.

OP, I have read the books and find nothing wrong with them for her age group.

Quoting GwenMB:

Did any of you read that short story about the village that did a lottery every year & killed someone from their village?  Each man selected a stone & whomever got the one with the red dot, their family did a second drawing & whomever got the red dot stone was stoned to death by everyone else.

I don't remember the name of the story or who wrote it or any class discussion when we read it in 9th grade.  All I remember is being very disturbed by the story.  It still really bothers me almost 30 years later.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KairisMama
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2012 at 2:35 PM
Id be fine with it. Its a good book. 5 th is old enough Imo.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
banana-bear
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 2:39 PM
2 moms liked this
It's a government class and it most certainly relates.

Quoting VaLaRiE:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Sep. 15, 2012 at 2:47 PM
I've read the books and all three saw the movie. While my sensitive 4th grader criedafter the movie (for all of two minutes? It did lead to a very in depth discussion of government, rebellion, treatng people differently based on where they live, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommasaint
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 3:21 PM

My 4th grader has read the Hunger games Triology. I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN