Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
My fifth grader brought home letter stating that for their government and revolution unit in school they will be reading The hunger games book. They are requiring a permission slip to read this but I have not read these books and am not sure which way to go. Any advice ? Or thoughts if you've read them?
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 1:14 PM
Replies (21-30):
matofour
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2012 at 3:22 PM
2 moms liked this
High school?

Really? Don't you think that's a little much?
What sort of books are you expecting your middle and high schooler to read?
Are you homeschooling?

Quoting idareyou:

I have a 5th grader who reads ahead of her age, but I won't let her read those yet - as long as I can control it, she won't read them until she's in high school. 10 is too young for some kids to understand some of that stuff IMO.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChristiBelle
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 3:23 PM
My 5th grader read them last year and he really enjoyed them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GwenMB
by Gwen on Sep. 15, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Would you suggest that someone who was disturbed/bothered by The Lottery read The Hunger Games?

Maybe it wouldn't have bothered me so much if there had been a good gov't/bad gov't discussion either time I read the story.  I just couldn't get past how disturbing the premise of the story to get a bigger concept out of it & I don't remember either teacher saying much of anything.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting GwenMB:

Did any of you read that short story about the village that did a lottery every year & killed someone from their village?  Each man selected a stone & whomever got the one with the red dot, their family did a second drawing & whomever got the red dot stone was stoned to death by everyone else.

I don't remember the name of the story or who wrote it or any class discussion when we read it in 9th grade.  All I remember is being very disturbed by the story.  It still really bothers me almost 30 years later.

It's call "The Lottery" I read it 7th grade. It is disturbing. But like The Hunger Games, it's the premise that's disturbing. There's no graphic description of the violence. 

idareyou
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 3:26 PM
2 moms liked this

No, I'm not homeschooling - that's why I said "as long as I can control it". I own the trilogy, it's not like she couldn't just haul off with them and read them. Thankfully she respects my help in choosing books (she asks me if she can read a certain book out of my childhood library before she reads it) - in the school library, everything as age-appropriate, and thankfully a lot of parents of kids her age feel the same way I do. High school here starts around 14 years old - that's only 4 years. A 10 year old is a lot different than a 14 year old - and 10 is too young for those books IMO.

Quoting matofour:

High school?

Are you homeschooling?

Quoting idareyou:

I have a 5th grader who reads ahead of her age, but I won't let her read those yet - as long as I can control it, she won't read them until she's in high school. 10 is too young for some kids to understand some of that stuff IMO.

matofour
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2012 at 3:30 PM
What sort of books is your ten year old reading?

Quoting idareyou:

No, I'm not homeschooling - that's why I said "as long as I can control it". I own the trilogy, it's not like she couldn't just haul off with them and read them. Thankfully she respects my help in choosing books (she asks me if she can read a certain book out of my childhood library before she reads it) - in the school library, everything as age-appropriate, and thankfully a lot of parents of kids her age feel the same way I do. High school here starts around 14 years old - that's only 4 years. A 10 year old is a lot different than a 14 year old - and 10 is too young for those books IMO.

Quoting matofour:

High school?

Are you homeschooling?

Quoting idareyou:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cherish77
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2012 at 3:50 PM
Dd saw the movie with me in the theater, so no I wouldn't have a problem with her reading them, she is 9 and in 4th grade. We discuss everything in the movie.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2012 at 5:01 PM
I'd say I would let my child read them in 5th grade. I wonder if they'll watch the movie in class too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Schleetle
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 5:03 PM
My third grader just read the first book, in less than a week. lol I thought it'd keep him busy for longer, but he really liked it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetPea2004
by Silver Member on Sep. 15, 2012 at 5:06 PM
A fifth grader maybe
SweetPea2004
by Silver Member on Sep. 15, 2012 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting matofour:

I agree with I dareyou my main llimit with books is that the characters need to be in her age range (8). I read the give in 6th grade and only grasped a fraction of it, I want dd to understand the books she is reading.
CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)