Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My fifth grader brought home letter stating that for their government and revolution unit in school they will be reading The hunger games book. They are requiring a permission slip to read this but I have not read these books and am not sure which way to go. Any advice ? Or thoughts if you've read them?
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 1:14 PM
Replies (441-450):
MomGoneGreen470
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this
It seems we are the same page and the sexuality and violence being given at this level desenitizes them meaning it will only get worse.

Quoting GramaKim:

butterflymama21
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 2:22 PM
To be honest just have the kids read Harry Potter it's just fantasy. Not violence,murdering each other! Besides look at all these shootings at schools!! Just my opinion
jclovinlife
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 2:37 PM
I've read the series and let my 4th grader watch the first movie.

If you allow her to read it, you could follow along with her or read it first so you can discuss it with her and share your opinion on this trick topic of government and revolution
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jclovinlife
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 2:58 PM
People take fictional books and relate them to real life all the time in high school and college and just for fun.

I took a fictional literature class in my senior year, the first thing my teacher said was that the bible was the first published work of fiction.

Whether you belive that to be true or not is ones own opinion, I personally don't think at our children's age the should be influenced by their teachers OPINION on such touchy is as government revolution.

If I was in your shoes, I would want to read through her lesson plan and ask her what her plans are on discussions or debates in her class regarding this book. I wouldnt want her to be 'preaching' to my kid on subjects I don't stand for.

Quoting MomGoneGreen470:

Once again someone taking fiction and trying to relate it to real life. The next thing is going to be how Harry Potter is actually about how school systems treat our special needs kids. The book is what it is, its not about real governments past or present. Now if you want to talk factual history then that's another place another time.

Quoting samsbaby78:

Yes it is a horrible example, but it isn't fiction to a lot of countries in the world. All throughout history there are examples of government controlling everything. People being killed for what they believe, what they feel and what they say. In nazi Germany, did the government not control everything. Did they not round up all the people that didn't believe the "right" way, and those that defied the government. Were they not sent off to be killed.

Even today, there are places that you can be killed for all those same reasons. Right here in America, the government says if you love someone that is the same gender as you are you are not allowed to legally marry and enjoy all the benefits that legal marriage give you. What will be next? We have come so far, even in just the last 100 years, but not far enough. I am not saying that this will happen, just that it is not impossible. Unfortunately humans seem to be unable to learn from history.

I am aware not everyone see things the same way I do. Luckily, in this country, I am allowed to. For now...

Quoting MomGoneGreen470:

This is simply a horrible example about governments telling us anything. This is fiction no fact, don't make it out to be more than it is.

Quoting samsbaby78:

They are a good way of showing that the government controling everything we think, do, say and feel is a very bad thing. Maybe our children will learn from it and other books like it and change the way things are done all over the world.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Sep. 25, 2012 at 9:10 AM

I don't believe in censoring books so I think it's fine.

rosebud2797
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:42 PM

true i guessi am just used to my family(we very rarley say a curse word. we are kind of like the duggers where we belive in what is right and what is wrong but we can watch tv and go on the computer. yes if you think i still live at home and i am a mother yes i do because i am 16 almost 17 with 3 dds and no dad to them )

Quoting 27yomomof4:

The cursing in the movie is no more than most kids hear at home!!

Quoting rosebud2797:

I have read them last year when i was 15 and my little sister age 9 has read them but sit down and say to her things like this will probably not happen in real life, and make sure she knows about the death and you might not want to let her see the movie because there some cursing

GwenMB
by Gwen on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Since this post was started, I have read the first book in the trilogy.  I did enjoy it.  Part of what allowed me to enjoy it was knowing that the main character would survive.  Plus, I can skim the really graphic parts as needed.  I'm not sure that I'd let my 5th grader read it.  I'll have to see once my K son is in 5th grade.

I don't see how its really a good way to teach about government, though.  I know that somewhere in the previous posts someone said that the gov't angle was obscure & most kids don't get that angle from the books - at least unless someone else discusses it with them.  I just think that the killing & violence overwhelms whatever discussion about gov't could be had.

FWIW, I asked my DH, who is a political science professor, what he thought about reading these books under the guise of discussing gov't & he didn't think it fit at all.  He thinks there are better ways for getting the gov't angle taught.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:43 PM
Quoting rosebud2797:

WHAT!?
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:54 PM
1 mom liked this
TotallyOT...but did I read this right...you are 16, living at home and have 3 kids...wow..,,

Quoting rosebud2797:

true i guessi am just used to my family(we very rarley say a curse word. we are kind of like the duggers where we belive in what is right and what is wrong but we can watch tv and go on the computer. yes if you think i still live at home and i am a mother yes i do because i am 16 almost 17 with 3 dds and no dad to them )

Quoting 27yomomof4:

The cursing in the movie is no more than most kids hear at home!!

Quoting rosebud2797:

I have read them last year when i was 15 and my little sister age 9 has read them but sit down and say to her things like this will probably not happen in real life, and make sure she knows about the death and you might not want to let her see the movie because there some cursing

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bellawomen
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:57 PM
I would. They are a bit violent I admit, which is why I personally was hesitant to let my son read them. He read the first 2 last year in 2nd grade (on his own) and we are reading the 3rd now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)