Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What do you think is the problem with the U.S. education system/student

Posted by   + Show Post

Comparatively speaking, the United States does not starve its education system of revenue. The U.S. is one of the leaders in spending on Education, and yet it's schools are rated "average" by international bodies.

The three-yearly OECD Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) report, which compares the knowledge and skills of 15-year-olds in 70 countries around the world, ranked the United States 14th out of 34 OECD countries for reading skills, 17th for science and a below-average 25th for mathematics.

Worse, out of 34 OECD countries, only 8 have a lower high school graduation rate. The United States' education outcomes most resemble Poland's, a nation that spends less than half on education than the U.S.

The U.S. spent an average of $10,615 per student in 2010.  Some districts spent over $18,000 (D.C., NY).  Obviously, we can't throw money at a problem like this. 

So what is the real issue here?

Update:  This post just blew up today.  It's going to take me a while to read all of this.

by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 10:31 PM
Replies (201-210):
sakpoints
by Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 10:18 PM
5 moms liked this

srichtermom
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that there are different problems depending on the state that you are in.  Overall, the lack of true accountability on the schools besides standardized testing is a major problem.  Our elementary school has been on probation according to the NCLB Act for 4 years; however, no other educational options have been given to our children.  The kids in the bottom 25% of the test scores are given passes to transfer to other schools but that doesn't help the other 75% of the students.  The majority of gifted programs have been taken out of schools due to the feeling that kids shouldn't be"labeled".  Education is no where near the level it was 20 years ago and continues to decline for a variety of reasons.

Barabell
by Barbara on Sep. 21, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Quoting Kathy489:

The problem is that the federal government runs it. Period. They ruin everything they touch.

The states run the schools, but they have to follow federal guidelines in certain areas.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Quoting sakpoints:

Enough said.  ^^

Hottubgodess
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 10:29 PM
I agree here!!!

Having a brighter child - he would tell me daily he is BORED. He is in a special needs class (3rd thru 5th), as a third grader, doing fifth grade work. He is getting challenged. That is the difference. We have kids with varied ability. Lets split them up and teach to that.

Quoting marilyn623:

And most public schools don't make learning fun. They should be instilling a love and passion for learning. Not forcing 7 yr olds to sit and do boring worksheets for hours :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 10:31 PM
I tried to do that when DS was acting up.
(go sit in his classroom, I would have done it everyday untill he straightened up)

The teacher said I was not allowed to. I could volunteer for a few hours which consisted of pulling students out in the hall for reading or copy things for her. How could I watch him if I was in the hall.

Instead the school couslaer and someone from the immediate school district had to "watch" him and tell me what was going on. I could never get a straight answer on what was going on. I would get he's doing good and then 3 weeks later she would call with a list of everything he did wrong all month.

He was bored is what it was, they wouldn't do anything to help him. He just had to get used to being bored. He would get done with his work in 2 minutes and start getting in trouble. He wasn't allowed to learn anything above grade level. Period.

We homeschool now. He's between 2-4 grade levels above his peers. We do formal schooling 2 hours a day. That's it. So, that kinda squashes the hours of extra homework theory for us. We work more on quality then quantity. We don't move on untill he has it mastered.

Quoting starbeck96:

Well, I think alot of the problem is that kids have no respect for teachers.  There is no real discipline in school anymore and alot of parents just don't care. 

IMO if a child is continuously acting up (and has no mental issues) then instead of sending them to in-school suspension, make their parents come up to the school and sit with them.  After a few times of pulling mommas and daddies off work to come sit with their child, I guarantee you would see a difference in the child within a few days...

I also agree with the post that said in other countries parental involvement is better than here.  Too many parents here just use school as a babysitter. 

Our high school here gives tons of HW..When my boys were in 7th and 8th grade they had homework but they have what they call "exploratory class".  Sometimes it was art or music.  Sometimes it was used to go over certain lessons that the kids were having trouble with.  The kids who played football went to the coach's room and they were allowed to eat a snack, drink gatorade, and do HW.  This was very nice since the boys didn't get home until after 6 many evenings...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lobomom24
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 10:37 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm wary of reports like this because here in the US, everyone is entitled to a free public education. In many countries, probably some that rank higher than the US, that is not the case. Only certain students get to go on to secondary school, whereas here, everyone goes on to HS. So we are comparing, in many cases, their top performing students to all of our students.
citygal323
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 10:40 PM
I totally agree! How much more useful would it be if those students that choose not go to a four year college already had a trade they were certificated for at the age of 18. This would cut down on drop outs and open up doors to professional careers for those that would normally just go out and find any job they could for quick income. High school is just a repetition of what was already learned in k-8 but a little more in depth. Waste of time and money IMO.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Countries in Europe don't requre high school. Only those that have certain grades continue on to high school and then college so those tested are usually ahead of our general population.. It is no shame in europe to choose a vocational training program instead of college.

IMO ~ since the CA state high school exit exam is written at an 8th grade level, they should give the kids a choice of a vocational program, that includes some high school xourses, instead of forcing kids to learn things the majority will never use.

They also need to revamp the Elementary grades so that there are different classes for different TYPES of learners. Classes should be grouped by ability, not age.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starbeck96
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 10:43 PM

We also HS now.  THis is our first year.  My daughter is 5 and is very hyper, but very smart.  She is also very easily distracted.  We knew that this would be a problem very quickly.  My boys asked if we would HS them also.  They are in 9th grade.

We live in Alabama and I've known a few parents that went and sit with their kids during class.  It is sad that they would not let you.  I probably would have done it anyway..lol.  Our schools here all have open door policies.  you can go in at any time as long as you don't cause interruptions. 

This happens so much in schools though.  The kids get bored and then start acting up.  That is when the teacher should have extra work for those kids to do.  That would help with the problem some.  It is a shame that more parents are not like this though.  So many of the paretns here just don't care that their kids are misbehaving because they don't have to deal with it.  Sadly many of the kids that act up do it for attention as well because they don't get it at home.

Quoting snowangel1979:

I tried to do that when DS was acting up.
(go sit in his classroom, I would have done it everyday untill he straightened up)

The teacher said I was not allowed to. I could volunteer for a few hours which consisted of pulling students out in the hall for reading or copy things for her. How could I watch him if I was in the hall.

Instead the school couslaer and someone from the immediate school district had to "watch" him and tell me what was going on. I could never get a straight answer on what was going on. I would get he's doing good and then 3 weeks later she would call with a list of everything he did wrong all month.

He was bored is what it was, they wouldn't do anything to help him. He just had to get used to being bored. He would get done with his work in 2 minutes and start getting in trouble. He wasn't allowed to learn anything above grade level. Period.

We homeschool now. He's between 2-4 grade levels above his peers. We do formal schooling 2 hours a day. That's it. So, that kinda squashes the hours of extra homework theory for us. We work more on quality then quantity. We don't move on untill he has it mastered.

Quoting starbeck96:

Well, I think alot of the problem is that kids have no respect for teachers.  There is no real discipline in school anymore and alot of parents just don't care. 

IMO if a child is continuously acting up (and has no mental issues) then instead of sending them to in-school suspension, make their parents come up to the school and sit with them.  After a few times of pulling mommas and daddies off work to come sit with their child, I guarantee you would see a difference in the child within a few days...

I also agree with the post that said in other countries parental involvement is better than here.  Too many parents here just use school as a babysitter. 

Our high school here gives tons of HW..When my boys were in 7th and 8th grade they had homework but they have what they call "exploratory class".  Sometimes it was art or music.  Sometimes it was used to go over certain lessons that the kids were having trouble with.  The kids who played football went to the coach's room and they were allowed to eat a snack, drink gatorade, and do HW.  This was very nice since the boys didn't get home until after 6 many evenings...

Aamy
by Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Kentucky is prime example as whats wrong with it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)