Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Banning Kids From A Bar

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 1:23 PM
  • 458 Replies
3 moms liked this

Banning Kids From Bars Puts a Damper on Play Dates for Moms Who Wanna Drink

Posted by Julie Ryan Evans

cheersI don't know what I hate more -- people who can't stand being inconvenienced by children, or people who try to tell parents how they should or should not handle their own children. It's a tossup I think, and a group of teachers and a beer garden in New York have covered both bases.

I've never been to Greenwood Park in Brooklyn, but it sounds like an amazing, family-friendly place (their website even says it is). With more than 13,000 square feet, there are indoor and outdoor seats, food, picnic tables, and boccie ball courts. Just the kind of place you could go with your kids and some friends for a little low-key happy hour ... or it was until some teachers complained and got kids banned after 4 p.m.

Their reasoning is infuriating.

Greenwood Park owner Dianne Vasilakos told the New York Daily News that the group of teachers was fed up with kids: “They are surrounded by children all day. They don’t want to also see them here.”

Understandable, but then THEY should move elsewhere. Mommies want to drink too.

They already have a 21 and older policy after 7 p.m., which is one thing, but kicking kids out after 4 p.m. is pretty much just a big slap in the face to parents.

As for children being in bars in general, it should be up to each parent to decide if that's the right place for his or her child. Parents can order alcohol everywhere from Chipotle to Chili's so unless you want to ban kids from a majority of eating establishments -- as I'm sure some people would like to -- then you have to let parents be in charge of their own decisions. If you don't like it, don't take your kids there; otherwise, sit back and enjoy your drink and leave the kids alone.

Of course there will always be a few out-of-control ones here and there -- parents, kids, and yes, teachers too -- and they should be dealt with on an individual basis. But just kicking kids out so teachers can throw back a few is bad business in more ways than one.

Do you think this restaurant was out of line to ban kids after 4 p.m.?

by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 1:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SavdNSanctified
by Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 1:27 PM
117 moms liked this

I find it absolutely insane that any parent would bring their child to a bar to begin with. Bars/alcohol and kids should never be in the same place. Where oh where has this world's parenting skills gone?

jillbailey26
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 1:30 PM
58 moms liked this

Kids shouldn't be at a bar.  Parents can do their play dates somewhere else.  And if it's a play date, why are you drinking?  Isn't the whole point of a play date to get the kids together and play?  The bar is hardly the ideal place for that.  

On the flip side.  I know if I'm actually going to a bar to knock back a few, the last thing I want running around me is kids.  

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 1:35 PM
25 moms liked this

I think the bar and teachers went too far. If you don't want to be around kids, don't go to a place that advertises itself as family-friendly. NYC is a big city- I'm sure there are plenty of other options.

jillbailey26
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 1:38 PM
16 moms liked this

Quoting wakymom:

I think the bar and teachers went too far. If you don't want to be around kids, don't go to a place that advertises itself as family-friendly. NYC is a big city- I'm sure there are plenty of other options. 

The bar menu is larger than their food menu.  They have 60 beers on tap and 12 things on their "limited vegetarian and vegan" menu.  If the bar menu is longer than the food menu, I wouldn't necessarily call that family friendly.  Whether the establishment boasts it or not.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

natesmom1228
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 1:44 PM
10 moms liked this

Yes I think it was out of line. I don't think it's the teachers place to decide where kids should be allowed.

natesmom1228
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 1:46 PM
28 moms liked this

Quoting SavdNSanctified:

I find it absolutely insane that any parent would bring their child to a bar to begin with. Bars/alcohol and kids should never be in the same place. Where oh where has this world's parenting skills gone?

So I shouldn't take my son to Applebee's for dinner because there is a bar there?

SavdNSanctified
by Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 1:50 PM
33 moms liked this

Applebee's is a restaraunt with a bar section. There's a difference.

Jennyanne322
by Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 1:58 PM
10 moms liked this
This place is actually pretty awesome. There is actually a school across the street from it. I would be pissed if I wanted to go out to eat with my child and got told I couldn't. Children are allowed in bars, they just can't sit at the bar. The place is wrong for banning children after 4. They will loose a large clientele cause this place is in the middle of park slope which is yuppie ville.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 1:59 PM
48 moms liked this

I spent plenty of time in a bar as a kid, sometimes a whole weekend pretty much and no one made a big stink about it.  Funny how up tight parents have become about what other people do in this day and age.  This was not even an issue at all in the 70's and most of the time I wish that we'd go back to that parenting philosophy.  Live and let live.  Why should I care if someone takes their child to a bar for dinner?

natesmom1228
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 2:54 PM
13 moms liked this

Quoting SavdNSanctified:

Applebee's is a restaraunt with a bar section. There's a difference.

isn't that what this place is also? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)