Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Over eating?

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 7:46 PM
  • 32 Replies

My daughter just turned 8 and she weighs 90 pounds... She's a bit tall for her age, but it's mostly fat. I feel harsh sayin that. She eats seconds on every meal, sometimes thirds... And then there are times that as she finishes her last bite at lunch she asks when dinner will be ready... She'll ask for snacks all day long.. I don't know how to handle it. DH gets upset with her and will take her plate after so much, and she'll throw a fit.. But he's doing it cause he was a bully and he knows what her highschool/junior high life will be lik if she keeps up the weight issue... I do make sure it's mostly healthy foods, she gets dessert like once or twice a week.. But do I limit the amount she eats? Or just let her learn from it later??? 

by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 7:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 7:47 PM
I would work with her on it. Why just let it happen and say "shell learn later" when you can take a more active role in her eating and her health.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommasaint
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 9:03 PM
2 moms liked this

Is she physically active? Get her active if she isn't. Lots of people preach portion control, but I would have a hard time wrapping my head around limiting my children's food. That doesn't mean they are wrong though, I would talk to her doctor and get suggestions there.

I ONLY supply healthy things. A treat in this house is yogurt lol. Only offer fresh fruit and veggies for snacks, things like that. 

MissTuree
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Pretty much my exact feelings.

I would like to add though to push water. Water, water, water. Many times our brains translate thirst into hunger. If she is full of water and nice and hydrated she is less likely to overeat.

Physical activity I would have to say needs to come first before anything though, that could end up being what she really needs.

Quoting mommasaint:

Is she physically active? Get her active if she isn't. Lots of people preach portion control, but I would have a hard time wrapping my head around limiting my children's food. That doesn't mean they are wrong though, I would talk to her doctor and get suggestions there.

I ONLY supply healthy things. A treat in this house is yogurt lol. Only offer fresh fruit and veggies for snacks, things like that. 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 10:34 PM
Start with a hearty salad of fresh veggies with lite or fat free dressing and a glass of water. Eat slowly and talk about your day as you eat to give the food a chance to settle.

If she is hungry between meals offer fresh fruit and veggies with minimal processed foods.

As PPs said water water water. Limit juice to once a day as a treat and soda for special occassions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eviesmom453
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Only feed her healthy foods. And I would start exercising as a family. She doesn't need your DH making her feel bad about herself. Take walks together, play sports, join a gym together.

sPiCyNiNjAkItTy
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 10:38 PM

You should definitely work with her. Get her active any way you can and maybe meet with a nutritionist. Cook only healthy foods.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 12:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I would see if she is bored especially if she is asking all day long.  Is she not attending public or private school ?   I would set reasonable limits like for a snack she can have 16 grapes (actual serving size) or an apple.  Celery w/ PB is a good filling snack as well.  Make sure she is drinking plenty of water as well.  The family as a whole needs to take a look at eating and exercise.  It is recommended now that adults as well as children eat 6 small meals a day rather than 3 large meals so between bfast and lunch i offer a snack (when she is home) and between lunch and dinner she gets a snack.  Also a bedtime snack will help keep the sugar levels even.

tennisgal
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 1:04 AM
How tall is she? My 6 yo is almost 80 lbs and skinny as a rail. My boys eat all day long. I put a thermos of water on the counter in the mornings so they each have that readily available and handy to grab if we are running errands. Push lots of physical activity with her. I cant imagine trying to limit my boys portions bc i feel like "how can i know if they are hungry?" So they always have access to fruit, carrotsticks, yogurt, etc. They do however have to be sitting at the table to eat. Make sure she isnt drinking empty calories as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aetrom
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 1:43 AM
I would say change what you serve. Lots and lots of veggies, 1 portion of meat/starches. She can gave as many veggies as wanted but do not even have seconds of other things. We try to offer 2 different veggies with any meal.

Also I agree exercise. Find something she is interested in..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cindy18
by Cruella on Sep. 20, 2012 at 7:11 AM

What your husband is doing is the exact thing YOU SHOULDN'T DO! He is going to make the problem worse.

Talk to her, ask her if she is really hungry or just bored. Always have healthy snacks available.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN