Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Disciplinary Action from Teacher

Posted by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 10:26 PM
  • 42 Replies
Ok moms. I'm trying to find the words to say to my 7yr olds teacher.
The classroom gets a snack brought from home at the end of each day. My son looks forward to these because he is growing and hungry an hour after eating. He came home Friday upset saying that the class talked during a test so their snack time was taken away at the end of the day. They didn't get to eat the snack she requests we send with our children. I DO NOT agree with the with holding of food being a form discipline. I understand if it was a "treat" like a cookie. But a healthy snack at the end of the day, no. Any advice on what my email to her should say?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 10:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TroyboysMom
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 10:59 PM
5 moms liked this

Well, you can call/e-mail to find out if that was the case, and if it was (and I'd be PISSED if it was.), you can respond firmly and very simply, "My son said that snack was withheld today as a punishment for talking during a test (Or, per our discussion, snack was withheld as a punishment for talking). Please note that it is unacceptable and inappropriate to withhold food as a punishment, and I do not want this to be used as a discipline measure for my child in the future."

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 11:02 PM
2 moms liked this

I would ask the teacher what happened first. Maybe the test time ran over onto this snack time or because the test took longer other lessons had to be pushed back and well the educational stuff does come before snack time. If it was a punishment you should explain why you think it's teaching the kids a bad habit by withholding food as a punishment.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 11:02 PM

I would talk with the teacher to find out whole story. And then ask to figure out a more appropriate punishment like withholding recess.  To my knowledge dd does not have a snack at end of day and her lunch is at 12pm.

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Sep. 22, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Same here.

Quoting frndlyfn:

I would talk with the teacher to find out whole story. And then ask to figure out a more appropriate punishment like withholding recess.  To my knowledge dd does not have a snack at end of day and her lunch is at 12pm.

Alexis Emma 10-13-1999 - 12 years old
Kirsten Leslie 03-14-2004 - 8 years old
Sarah Mackenzie 08-14-2007 - 5 years old
Charlotte Amelia & Harmon David 04-12-2012 - 23 weeks old

maidjillian
by Bronze Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 11:59 PM
3 moms liked this

My son does get a snack in the afternoon- they do it as part of their math lesson (counting, etc), he's in Kinder. 

I don't agree with using food as a reward or punishment (I guess reward is okay for like pizza parties maybe...?) because my family has such issues with food.  I comfort eat and my mom is anorexic.  I am trying SO HARD to keep my sons' attitudes about food a healthy one.  The teacher probably didn't think of it this way.  I understand that if the class doesn't do what it's supposed to do, they don't get treats, but that treat shouldn't be food.  Being 5 mins late for recess might be more appropriate.

mmtosam06
by Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 12:01 AM
My dd gets snack for story time
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anxiousschk
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 1:15 AM
5 moms liked this

Honestly, I don't think it's a huge deal.  Your child isn't suffering, he's just a little hungry.  

If you feel a need to email, then make it non-confrontational and ask if it happened and if so, how often it may happen.  

Ask if the snack is supposed to be a "treat" or something that is part of the daily schedule.   If it's daily schedule, then it shouldn't change, regardless of behavior (unless bad behavior causes things to run over and snack time has to be cut.) 

mommaoftwo
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 1:17 AM
2 moms liked this

it could have been a time thing.

They talked too much during the test, thereby pushing everything back.

Why do they have a snack at the end of the day anyway? They are about to be sent home, where they can eat.

Cindy18
by Cruella on Sep. 23, 2012 at 8:22 AM
8 moms liked this

It's her classroom and she punishes/rewards as she sees fit. All teachers do things differently than other teachers and differently than parents. 

A snack at the end of the day is not a necessity. I don't think this is a major issue. 

If it really bothers you, call  don't e-mail. E-mails can very easily be mistaken and misunderstood. 

KairisMama
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 8:24 AM
Agreed. When I was a gen ed teacher snack happened if we had time for it. If the class was off task and not getting things done we may have lost snack. It was SUPER RARE but it happened. No one suffered. I never had a snack time in school myself.

Quoting Cindy18:

It's her classroom and she punishes/rewards as she sees fit. All teachers do things differently than other teachers and differently than parents. 

A snack at the end of the day is not a necessity. I don't think this is a major issue. 

If it really bothers you, call  don't e-mail. E-mails can very easily be mistaken and misunderstood. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)