Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Is this an appropriate teacher/student relationship? More info added

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 2:13 AM
  • 67 Replies

Do you think it is appropriate for a teacher to take a student to the movies in another town, a restaurant, skating, and visit the student at home (not the parents) regularly?  I can understand a teacher taking a student to a school event, like a football game, but should a teacher take a student places that have nothing to do with school?

The teacher is not related to the student or friends with the student's family.  This is a small town school.  Other students and parents are wondering why one student gets special treatment from the teacher.  The student is a friend's child and she is concerned.  I told my friend what I thought, but I was wondering what other mothers thought.  I know sometimes kids have a teacher they really like and some teachers want to help kids with tutoring, or kids that have a bad home life.  The student does well in school and home life is normal.

I have no problem with field trips to the movies, or to a pizza place as a reward to the students.  With field trips there is a group or class of students and usually two or more teachers going and they usually go on a school bus.  In this case, the movie and restaurant was in another town and had nothing to do with school. 

THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR CHILD ABUSE!simple frown

by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 2:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aetrom
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 2:14 AM
I would need more details, age ofchild, how often, dis they know each other before (ie family friend) etc...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ilovemykids732
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 2:14 AM
Um... No, that's not right... Y?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steffielou_who
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 2:58 AM
3 moms liked this

No teacher should an any inappropriate relationship with a student regardless of age...

I think if you are a teacher, there should be ground rules set and as an authority figure, they should never ever cross a certain line.. I think, in this case, a line would be crossed..

I call going to the movies, a date..

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 4:13 AM

It depends really on how well the teacher is known to you.  In this case i am presuming you dont know them outside of school so no it would not be good.  Some teachers like to be a big sister/big brother to their students outside of school but should only be done with the parents consent for a mentor like relationship.

iErika
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 7:42 AM

To the movies in another town?

No, none of that really sounds appropriate to me.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 8:01 AM

I'm a teacher.  The only way this would happen is if one of my neighbors' kids ended up in my class.  I already take them places (although I don't tend to visit them at home when their parents aren't there - that's very strange) so I probably wouldn't stop just because they were in my class.  

Cindy18
by Cruella on Sep. 23, 2012 at 8:02 AM
2 moms liked this

With so little information, it is not appropriate. 

More info, please?

anxiousschk
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 8:42 AM
2 moms liked this

I need to know many more factors.  

What's the student's home life?  What are the ages we are talking about?  Is the student the only one who is receiving this treatment?   

Who, at the schoo, is aware of this?  Could the teacher have spoken with the guidance counselor, etc?  

anxiousschk
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Meh, I remember teachers taking us out to eat in elementary school.  It was a treat and something we all loved.  Not a touch of anything inappropriate.  

Many teachers arrange meetings at movies for various books that are made into movies.  Nothing wrong there.  

I don't think you can blantantly call going to the movies a date when so little is known.  

Quoting steffielou_who:

No teacher should an any inappropriate relationship with a student regardless of age...

I think if you are a teacher, there should be ground rules set and as an authority figure, they should never ever cross a certain line.. I think, in this case, a line would be crossed..

I call going to the movies, a date..

sunflowers12
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this

no, or should the be friends on their face book for the older kids unless there's a like thing  for the school or something that everyone participates in...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN