Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Is this an appropriate teacher/student relationship? More info added

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you think it is appropriate for a teacher to take a student to the movies in another town, a restaurant, skating, and visit the student at home (not the parents) regularly?  I can understand a teacher taking a student to a school event, like a football game, but should a teacher take a student places that have nothing to do with school?

The teacher is not related to the student or friends with the student's family.  This is a small town school.  Other students and parents are wondering why one student gets special treatment from the teacher.  The student is a friend's child and she is concerned.  I told my friend what I thought, but I was wondering what other mothers thought.  I know sometimes kids have a teacher they really like and some teachers want to help kids with tutoring, or kids that have a bad home life.  The student does well in school and home life is normal.

I have no problem with field trips to the movies, or to a pizza place as a reward to the students.  With field trips there is a group or class of students and usually two or more teachers going and they usually go on a school bus.  In this case, the movie and restaurant was in another town and had nothing to do with school. 

THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR CHILD ABUSE!simple frown

by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 2:13 AM
Replies (61-67):
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Sep. 25, 2012 at 8:51 AM

That sounds inappropriate

maidjillian
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Tell your friend she can say no to these outings. 

I can see it being okay if the child is poor, neglected or something like that and the teacher is trying to bring some happiness to an otherwise bleak existance, But just to take the kid out in another town?  Not usual.

Momtogirls0823
by Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I agree this is quite unusual.  When I was in middle school I went to the same school where my dad taught.  So the teachers there were friends of my dad.  Still, none of them ever took me out.  If I were this child's mom, I definitely would be concerned.  

vermontmoms
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 8:17 AM
This would not fly at my house. No women/teacher is going to take my 14yr old son anywhere. I would never let this happen!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AleaKat
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 8:18 AM
This is very sketchy!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ProudMommy51006
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 8:47 AM
Inappropriate!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soymujer
by Mikki on Sep. 26, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Our school has a program called Teammates where an adult is paired up with a student.  Granted,  they can't meet outside of school, maybe there's a program you don't know about.  Other than, that is strange behavior.

family in the van   Mom of four

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)