Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Do I write it? Or does she?

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 6:47 PM
  • 65 Replies
Dd has a little all about me booklet due at school tomorrow. She's in kindergarten, it's the 3rd week of school. I had her draw all of the pictures, but in the parts where they ask about family members, things she likes to do with her family & her favorite place in our home, Robinson write her answers in for her (in her words of course) or do I attempt to get her to write them? The spaces aren't very big & her writing skills are seriously lacking right now (we haven't gotten the "official" results of testing yet, but I know it's something we're going to be spending extra time on.)

I just want to do what's expected, but it didn't really occur to me that they might want her to write the answers in at this stage of things.

Wwyd?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 6:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 6:49 PM
3 moms liked this

It is her assignment, so she should do the writing.  It would never occur to me to do the writing for my child on one of their assignments.

dee06
by New Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 6:50 PM

I don't think they expect a kindergartener to be able to write. Not at my kids school anyway

CreziaMommyTo2
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this

she is responsible for everything.. what i do is write under what she was attempting to write

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 6:51 PM
5 moms liked this
It's not a bad idea for you to write them on another paper and she copies it OR have her write how she thinks its supposed to be and you write underneath it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PensFan99
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 6:52 PM
In kindergarten i am not sure. I know in preschool the teachers did the writing for the kids. If you can email the teacher i would. If it is due tomorrow, i would see if she can write the things in, and maybe i would write on the back if each paper, cause i know little kids writing can be hard to read. I don't remember if ds was expected to write in kindergarten, if so it was very little.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PensFan99
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 6:53 PM
Good ideas

Quoting M4LG5:

It's not a bad idea for you to write them on another paper and she copies it OR have her write how she thinks its supposed to be and you write underneath it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NuttyMomma
1 mom liked this

Try Writing it for her on seprate paper, And have her copy, I did that For my Son for the first Couple months of kinder.

PensFan99
I agree

Quoting dee06:

I don't think they expect a kindergartener to be able to write. Not at my kids school anyway

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ermka
by Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 6:54 PM
6 months from now it wouldn't occur to me either. But 3 weeks into kindergarten? It's going to consist of me writing them on a piece of paper and her trying to copy them, even then they might not be able to be comprehended.

Quoting steelcrazy:

It is her assignment, so she should do the writing.  It would never occur to me to do the writing for my child on one of their assignments.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Sep. 23, 2012 at 6:56 PM
5 moms liked this

In Kindergarten I would assume the kids would dictate the answers to an adult. Very few kids that age could even begin to do it on their own. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)