Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Since some don't seem to know...

Ive seen posts about how people don't donate or participate in fundraisers for the school, or ignore the letters from the pto asking for goods or help with fundraisers.

Just so you know, the PTO helps a lot with things for the kids. I just came from my meeting and we went over a list of stuff the PTO is doing for the school and students. Here is part of the list: paying for the entire 6th grade to go to the state Capitol (so buses, entry to wherever they go, lunch), the back to school picnic, movie night, the planners and folders for the kids homework, extra paper for fliers and paperwork, classroom supplies.

There was more, but I don't have the list in front of me. The principal was on hand and said that it's pathetic, but the PTO has a better budget than the school itself.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 9:40 PM
Replies (11-20):
ermka
by Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 9:55 PM
I do, as much as I can.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iansusie
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Well, I can participate, I can WORK events, etc. but I don't have many people to sell stuff to and with 2 kids in 2 different schools, it can get pricey and annoying, plus everyone else has their kids in school selling fundraiser stuff, so i feel that if they buy from me, I need to buy from them and I just cannot afford to do it. 

If you don't mind, what does your PTO do for your BIG fundraiser? I was going to ask how many students but I remember you said 650. Both my kids schools have less than 300 students each, not many parents participate. One is private the other is a Charter. 

Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 10:16 PM
I told you there was 650?
I guess the number went down, the principal said 518 tonight (the BOE liaison was there with a census). So we aim for each student to raise $40. Some come in with nothing, some have raised over $1000

Quoting iansusie:

Well, I can participate, I can WORK events, etc. but I don't have many people to sell stuff to and with 2 kids in 2 different schools, it can get pricey and annoying, plus everyone else has their kids in school selling fundraiser stuff, so i feel that if they buy from me, I need to buy from them and I just cannot afford to do it. 

If you don't mind, what does your PTO do for your BIG fundraiser? I was going to ask how many students but I remember you said 650. Both my kids schools have less than 300 students each, not many parents participate. One is private the other is a Charter. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
periwinkle163
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 10:19 PM

I think a lot of people just assume the schools put on the events held at the school. They don't realize how much is the PTO.

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 10:23 PM

i envy your school!   we just have k-1st, so we are on a much smaller scale! but we do a lot of those same things.. our planned budget for this year is $26k, our first fundraiser a walk-a-thon, just raised over $12k < not bad for 475 kids!!! > and since the school needs funds to we do a 50/50 split with them

Quoting steelcrazy:

I think most would crap if they knew everything that our PTA pays for.  Our budget last year was over $40,000, but this year we cut it to $30,000.  We pay for every single child in our school (K-6, 650 students) to go on an educational field trip.  We pay the admission and the transportation fee and I'm not talking to places like a pumpkin patch or an orchard, the kids go to museums, theaters, zoos, etc.  We also pay for an end of year event with bounce houses, petting zoo, pony rides, puppet show, etc.  We pay for t-shirts, ribbons, and lunch on track and field day.  We pay for a 2 day science themed event that includes guest speakers and tons of hands on experiments and competitions that all involved science.  We pay for after school chess and fitness programs.  We buy every student in the school a book for Christmas.  We purchase gifts for our teachers and staff through out the school year and host a luncheon for them at the end of the year.  We pay for and run an arts program in our school which includes hosting an evening art gallery with snacks and we frame the winning art work from that night.

This isn't a complete list, but just some examples of what all PTA can do for the school.  Now as a PTA we are not permitted to fund teacher salaries, or buy equipment for the school.

BTW - the field trip admission and bus fees for every student costs us a little over $10,000 a year.

Momma to three amazing boys! And in love with their amazing daddy! Living our untraditional life. Don't judge, we've made it this far and it works :)

TroyboysMom
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 3:16 AM

The PTA at ds' school (I'm a board member) pays for the music program (instrument instruction and choir), the art program, the p.e. teacher, field trips (one per grade level, minimum, including bussing), assemblies (one per grade level, minimum), classroom supplies, some grade level funds, and even hosts the fall carnival.

endurablemist
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 7:07 AM
I klove to support my PTO...but they have reallg bad timing this year. The fundraiser money us due the same day as school pictures, which is also the week after book fair, book orders, and open house. It just too much all at once. I am trying to sell the fundraiser stuff, but since they only gave us a week, I'm not sure how good I will do, but I'm trying.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PerfectVirgo
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 7:12 AM
Our PTO let's you donate up to $12 (yea that's it!) each year and if you do, your children are part of every PTO raffle, the weekly popcorn giveaway, and get goodies like free suckers at lunch. We do Market Day once a month and 1 fundraiser.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AleaKat
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 7:13 AM
Yes I can't stand to hear people bitch about the school but don't go to the meetings to voice an opinion. Our meeting are at 6 when most are off work. All the money goes to the school and you don't even have to donate money maybe just a little time like I'm typing up the PTO newsletter that may take me a couple hours if I actually make it nice and I can span it over a few days. I'm also volunteering for a school charity function to sort clothes people donate but on that note I know I'm a sahm so that might not be possible but it's ridiculous that in a K-4 school only 20 parents show got out meetings.

Quoting Idntreallycare:

Ive seen posts about how people don't donate or participate in fundraisers for the school, or ignore the letters from the pto asking for goods or help with fundraisers.

Just so you know, the PTO helps a lot with things for the kids. I just came from my meeting and we went over a list of stuff the PTO is doing for the school and students. Here is part of the list: paying for the entire 6th grade to go to the state Capitol (so buses, entry to wherever they go, lunch), the back to school picnic, movie night, the planners and folders for the kids homework, extra paper for fliers and paperwork, classroom supplies.

There was more, but I don't have the list in front of me. The principal was on hand and said that it's pathetic, but the PTO has a better budget than the school itself.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CometGirl
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 7:13 AM

I'm grateful that I live in a school district that still has the budget to pay for field trips, art programs, special presentations, etc.  We do not have a PTO b/c the popularity contest got so out of hand the principal had to disband it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN