Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Since some don't seem to know...

Ive seen posts about how people don't donate or participate in fundraisers for the school, or ignore the letters from the pto asking for goods or help with fundraisers.

Just so you know, the PTO helps a lot with things for the kids. I just came from my meeting and we went over a list of stuff the PTO is doing for the school and students. Here is part of the list: paying for the entire 6th grade to go to the state Capitol (so buses, entry to wherever they go, lunch), the back to school picnic, movie night, the planners and folders for the kids homework, extra paper for fliers and paperwork, classroom supplies.

There was more, but I don't have the list in front of me. The principal was on hand and said that it's pathetic, but the PTO has a better budget than the school itself.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 9:40 PM
Replies (21-30):
AleaKat
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 7:19 AM
Yea we had one mom at the meeting who made nasty faces at everyone's suggestions and cut people off and was just plain rude. I got the high maintenance vibe from her.

Quoting mhaney03:

If our PTO wasn't a popularity contest, I might be more inclined to participate.  It's like high school all over again.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
a_brown23
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 8:23 AM

I agree. I am a member of our PTA and am proud to contribute via fundraisers and such as that is how our kids get to do so much fun stuff.

aj23
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Not all PTO's are the same though. There is a huge difference from one school to another.
Here they do help with the fundraisers but it's more of the setting it up and helping out instead of  being over it and doing the planning.  Each grade has its own fundraiser to pay for what they need. There is a big fall festival every October that the PTO has a lot to do with but the teachers supply the prizes, work the booths and do the auctions. There are very few PTO members that actually help with it. The little things like collect box tops, angel trees at Christmas, helping teachers, etc are all done by individual people or the parent volunteer group.
I always do the fundraisers and stuff because I know the teachers need the money but if the PTO were to ask for something a $50 donation it better be for a hell of a reason because they don't do enough to justify giving them that kind of money.

AirForceWife13
by Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 8:55 AM
Everything my son does in school is paid for.by me. Field trips, pizza days, and my 2 dd's 6th grade trips were also paid for by me. I really have no idea what the PtA raises money for at their school because it damn sure doesn't cover anything that you've mentioned.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mashnut3161
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 9:01 AM

i volunteer for absolutely everything I can. I would more, but my health doesn't always allow. I have actually had teachers turn me down, because they knew I should be at home resting.

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 9:35 AM

My boys attend a private Catholic school.  We knew going in that there would be a lot of donations needed on top of tuition.  We have no problem donating what we can afford because we know it all helps out our kids in one way or another.  We also have a PTO but it's called PC for Parent Connections.  PC is more so in charge of organizing volunteering efforts rather than raising money.  The school itself does it's own fundraising.  We do one big event once a year (going on right now).  It's the only money raising event done during the entire year for the school.  I think it helps that's it's the only one because people know this is the only time they will be bugged so they are more willing to give till it hurts.  It's always very successful every year.

Mommy_0f_many
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 10:13 AM

i prefer to do a one time donation then do fundraisers - even if it is $100! we already have a lot of fundraisers from their after school activities that we sometimes do because i don't want to ruin friendships over fundraisers. there are too many kids in my neighborhood that are selling the same stuff!

MelisaAnderson
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 10:20 AM
I help as much as I can.. And actually my dd won a ipad for the most sales for the fundraiser we just finished..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dcdmattison03
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 10:21 AM

My son goes to a private school so there is no PTO. At his school when he was in Pre k I was part of the PTO.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 10:25 AM
Same here but we do it every other year. Other than that, we do passive fund raising like box tops, Market Day, supermarket receipts. I've always been involved in the classroom but this year I accepted a PTO chair position and I've been enjoying it.

Quoting Idntreallycare:

Our school has one big fundraiser. If, and only if, we don't raise what we need, we'll do another. But we have been doing well with the one lone fundraiser.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN