Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Since some don't seem to know...

Ive seen posts about how people don't donate or participate in fundraisers for the school, or ignore the letters from the pto asking for goods or help with fundraisers.

Just so you know, the PTO helps a lot with things for the kids. I just came from my meeting and we went over a list of stuff the PTO is doing for the school and students. Here is part of the list: paying for the entire 6th grade to go to the state Capitol (so buses, entry to wherever they go, lunch), the back to school picnic, movie night, the planners and folders for the kids homework, extra paper for fliers and paperwork, classroom supplies.

There was more, but I don't have the list in front of me. The principal was on hand and said that it's pathetic, but the PTO has a better budget than the school itself.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 9:40 PM
Replies (31-40):
iansusie
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 12:02 PM

LOL, I am sorry, I thought it said somewhere that you had 650 students... either way, it is still more than at either of my kids schools, one actually doesn't even have 175 (yet) just started K and 1st grade adding a grade per year. The other has about 275. The thing is parents do not help at all. If each family at least helped by WORKING a big event we could make it work. 

Quoting Idntreallycare:

I told you there was 650?
I guess the number went down, the principal said 518 tonight (the BOE liaison was there with a census). So we aim for each student to raise $40. Some come in with nothing, some have raised over $1000

Quoting iansusie:

Well, I can participate, I can WORK events, etc. but I don't have many people to sell stuff to and with 2 kids in 2 different schools, it can get pricey and annoying, plus everyone else has their kids in school selling fundraiser stuff, so i feel that if they buy from me, I need to buy from them and I just cannot afford to do it. 

If you don't mind, what does your PTO do for your BIG fundraiser? I was going to ask how many students but I remember you said 650. Both my kids schools have less than 300 students each, not many parents participate. One is private the other is a Charter. 

bizkit_fanky
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Our PTO is like a popularity conest for adults lol...I want no part of it..
chinosruca
by Gold Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 12:30 PM
It all depends on the fundraiser. About a month ago they sent $250 worth of crappy food ticekts with my daughter (who is not the most responsible kid I know) saying that WE WERE RESPONSIBLE for lost tickets. I sealed the envelope and sent them back. They should have asked.....because it would be ME, NOT MY DAUGHTER selling tickets. And I absolutely would not, under any circumstances give them $250 if those tickets were lost. I was pissed off actually. I was at the school the day they issued the food from the tickets....PATHETIC. Miniature (single serving) loaves of banana bread for $6.....seriously? And the parents were complaining about the taste. My SIL bought $60 worth of different things and was disgusted by the quality and quantity.

I donate to my daughters school, and other schools as well. Both out of pocket and through generous donations of service and product from my work. I don't feel guilty not participating in every fundraiser they throw at us.

In the 5 years my daughter has been at her school, I have never been given a notice from the PTO/PTA about meetings, fundraisers, or anything. I do know they meet Wednesday evenings, and I can't attend.....but they don't even offer other parental involvement. They are the moms everyone hates and people just talk behind their backs. If they want help, act like you care about the kids.....not yourselves (not talking about people here....just the moms at our PTA/PTO). It is pathetic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 12:34 PM
PS..OP...just because we choose not to participate doesn't mean we are clueless to where money is. Spent. It was pretty ignorant to ASSume that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Well, there's women in here who seriously believe teachers hoard school supplies. So nothing is too absurd to assume in here.
But it's cute that you thought to call me ignorant. I forgot you knew what every member in here knows or doesn't know.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

PS..OP...just because we choose not to participate doesn't mean we are clueless to where money is. Spent. It was pretty ignorant to ASSume that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Your ASSUPMTION was ignorant - aka not informed. I could have called you an ignorant asshat - but I don't stoop that low! However, if you want to put words in my motuh... take it as you wish. If the shoe fits...as they say...

Anyhow- The whole tone of your post struck me as wrong, so I spoke up. HADG!

Quoting Idntreallycare:

Well, there's women in here who seriously believe teachers hoard school supplies. So nothing is too absurd to assume in here.
But it's cute that you thought to call me ignorant. I forgot you knew what every member in here knows or doesn't know.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

ambermarie2006
by Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 1:45 PM
I help a lot with the PTO. We are doing a Halloween carnival next month and I am volunteering the whole day plus baking for the bake sale. The PTO helps with all the "fun" things I am willing to help with allowing my kids a good time.

I noticed this year that parents are less welling to help with any activity. My kids are in scouts, football, and cheer...and its like pulling teeth to get volunteers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
familyof5now
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Our pto is doing a read-a-thon this year instead of selling stuff that way the school gets all the money from the fund raiser and not having to send a big portion of the money to a company. We also do a fall festival.

Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 1:54 PM
The whole tone of my post is there because some truly don't know what their pto does or why they should bother helping out.
Parents should help the pto because they do a lot for the school. So
Embody in here said their pto pays for the gym teacher. Ours pays for a lot of fun activities and school supplies. Clearly there are parent's in here that did not know that. I believe I saw some ost say the pro does nothing, so why should they help. My assumption was valid, despite your opinion of it

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Your ASSUPMTION was ignorant - aka not informed. I could have called you an ignorant asshat - but I don't stoop that low! However, if you want to put words in my motuh... take it as you wish. If the shoe fits...as they say...

Anyhow- The whole tone of your post struck me as wrong, so I spoke up. HADG!

Quoting Idntreallycare:

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calusari
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 2:12 PM

I wish that our school would provide information like that; our PTO does four fundraisers a year (the door-to-door selling stuff), which we rarely participate in. I would happy to volunteer my time to things such as school carnivals, walk-a-thons, and things like that...but expecting the kids to raise all of their money for them is ridiculous. Not to mention, I am not sure they need the money...last year they bought t shirts and yearbooks for the whole school. Those are things that parents could choose to purchase...I'm tired of the fundraisers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)