Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Since some don't seem to know...

Ive seen posts about how people don't donate or participate in fundraisers for the school, or ignore the letters from the pto asking for goods or help with fundraisers.

Just so you know, the PTO helps a lot with things for the kids. I just came from my meeting and we went over a list of stuff the PTO is doing for the school and students. Here is part of the list: paying for the entire 6th grade to go to the state Capitol (so buses, entry to wherever they go, lunch), the back to school picnic, movie night, the planners and folders for the kids homework, extra paper for fliers and paperwork, classroom supplies.

There was more, but I don't have the list in front of me. The principal was on hand and said that it's pathetic, but the PTO has a better budget than the school itself.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 9:40 PM
Replies (41-50):
corrinacs
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Thank you for posting, and you are right :) :).  I joined the PTA and I was surprised with how much they pay for my son's education too!  Help out wherever you can.  Join PTA/PTO!  They really work with hte parents and thier schedules!

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 3:03 PM

I'm sure that there ARE PTO groups out there at hat really do nothing, or the bare minimum. Those that have active PTOs are the lucky ones. More often than not they are disfunctional cliques.

We used to go to public school, now we homeschool but the majority of our friends are from Scouting, both Boy and Girl Scouts, and the kids are from all most all from public schools.

The things I hear about the different PTOs are pretty scary. My Bestie was going to join one PTO at her DS's school. Her DS is special needs. She was told to her face not to bother becauses the special ed classes don't get PTO funding  *GASP* Really? WOW! They aren't allowed field trips and that was what the majority of the fund raising went to!  She had a LONG talk with the principal, it seems the person who said that to her was removed from PTO, but my friend never went back and I don't blame her one bit!

Quoting Idntreallycare:
I believe I saw some ost say the pro does nothing, so why should they help. M

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Your ASSUPMTION was ignorant - aka not informed. I could have called you an ignorant asshat - but I don't stoop that low! However, if you want to put words in my motuh... take it as you wish. If the shoe fits...as they say...

Anyhow- The whole tone of your post struck me as wrong, so I spoke up. HADG!

Quoting Idntreallycare:

Well, there's women in here who seriously believe teachers hoard school supplies. So nothing is too absurd to assume in here.

But it's cute that you thought to call me ignorant. I forgot you knew what every member in here knows or doesn't know.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

PS..OP...just because we choose not to participate doesn't mean we are clueless to where money is. Spent. It was pretty ignorant to ASSume that.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

iansusie
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Actually it was someone else's school but they had orange font too... sorry!!!!

Quoting Idntreallycare:

I told you there was 650?
I guess the number went down, the principal said 518 tonight (the BOE liaison was there with a census). So we aim for each student to raise $40. Some come in with nothing, some have raised over $1000

Quoting iansusie:

Well, I can participate, I can WORK events, etc. but I don't have many people to sell stuff to and with 2 kids in 2 different schools, it can get pricey and annoying, plus everyone else has their kids in school selling fundraiser stuff, so i feel that if they buy from me, I need to buy from them and I just cannot afford to do it. 

If you don't mind, what does your PTO do for your BIG fundraiser? I was going to ask how many students but I remember you said 650. Both my kids schools have less than 300 students each, not many parents participate. One is private the other is a Charter. 

Hottubgodess
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 3:24 PM
While I can't purchase the chocolates (peanut allergies) we do participate thru out the year with our Scrip Program (gift cards) and box tops. If the fundraiser is trinket crap (like the Christmas shopping) I would rather just send a check to the school instead of buying crap to garage sale and the school only get a portion KWIM?

Quoting Idntreallycare:

Ive seen posts about how people don't donate or participate in fundraisers for the school, or ignore the letters from the pto asking for goods or help with fundraisers.

Just so you know, the PTO helps a lot with things for the kids. I just came from my meeting and we went over a list of stuff the PTO is doing for the school and students. Here is part of the list: paying for the entire 6th grade to go to the state Capitol (so buses, entry to wherever they go, lunch), the back to school picnic, movie night, the planners and folders for the kids homework, extra paper for fliers and paperwork, classroom supplies.

There was more, but I don't have the list in front of me. The principal was on hand and said that it's pathetic, but the PTO has a better budget than the school itself.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NuttyMomma
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 3:26 PM

If they are look for Certain Items for donations, I tend to go out and get them, be it a can food drive, or a Certain Grade lvl Raffle Basket for the School Fair. As the fundraisers themselves. We had a Cookie Dough. As much as my child wanted me to buy some. I Just didn't, I make my own, and on a tight budget spending 13 bucks for some cookie dough didn't work out. Our School does a Popcorn sale every other Week. Even if I have popcorn in my house. I always send money in with my child, To buy some. If the PTA needs some Items for the Santa Shop. If I have the Time, Or Extra random Things I have made. I Donate them. One Year long ago. my oldest was only 5 mths old. me and my MIL spent two weeks making Wallets and little purses for the Santa Shop for our local school.

Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 4:40 PM
I love that our principal realizes that while she probably makes good money, not everybody does. She complimented our pto for the free back to school picnic. Her children's school does it as a fundraiser and she was like "it was $20 to feed my family. $20 is a lot to a lot of people"

I'm glad that she at least knows this and is willing to keep fundraising to a minimum.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
londamg
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 4:47 PM

i think last years fundraiser helped pay for more computers for the kids and for the 4th grade outdoor school (supplies) they do at the end of the year

whoodathunk
by Member on Sep. 27, 2012 at 7:30 AM

Everyone can help.  Offer to help with a fundraiser, maybe collect boxtops.  There's always a way!

Quoting m0mmy0ftw02012:

i wish i could do more for our pto.... but right now thats not an opinion simple frown

m0mmy0ftw02012
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 7:35 AM

i have been collecting boxtops... i have my whole family collecting them for my daughter.... I will help with a fundraiser, when they have one. The pto here wants money right now... im not able to help... thats what i was trying to say

Quoting whoodathunk:

Everyone can help.  Offer to help with a fundraiser, maybe collect boxtops.  There's always a way!

Quoting m0mmy0ftw02012:

i wish i could do more for our pto.... but right now thats not an opinion simple frown

in love  In love with an amazing man! I have two girls,     girl on a swing      girl on a swing.

kelliewhitney
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Our PTA does great work. If had the money, I would donate. However, I opt to feed my kids instead. And, I have to find $300 extra dollars by December for Outdoor Science School so my son is not the ONLY child in his grade who can't go. I would love it if our PTA would fund a scholarship program for kids whose parents are unemployed (and looking hard) to go on the trip.

I'm now working for less than half of what I earned just out of college (not adjusted for inflation, so it's really worse than that) because there are no jobs in my area that don't suck. But, I am working. I simply cannot afford to spend an hour's wages on a roll of wrapping paper. I could feed my family of 5 for a day on that $9.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN