Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Since some don't seem to know...

Ive seen posts about how people don't donate or participate in fundraisers for the school, or ignore the letters from the pto asking for goods or help with fundraisers.

Just so you know, the PTO helps a lot with things for the kids. I just came from my meeting and we went over a list of stuff the PTO is doing for the school and students. Here is part of the list: paying for the entire 6th grade to go to the state Capitol (so buses, entry to wherever they go, lunch), the back to school picnic, movie night, the planners and folders for the kids homework, extra paper for fliers and paperwork, classroom supplies.

There was more, but I don't have the list in front of me. The principal was on hand and said that it's pathetic, but the PTO has a better budget than the school itself.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 9:40 PM
Replies (61-68):
periwinkle163
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Some of us go over and above without begging money from family and friends by pushiing them to buy crap that they really don't want!

If I give the PTO $20 cash, they make more than if I sold $200 in junk.

That's not necessarily true our fundraiser is 50% profit, so we would get 100 from the 200, it just depends on the the fundraiser.

periwinkle163
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Quoting Idntreallycare:

We do a walk a thon

Quoting psurmont:

What fundraiser is that?

Quoting Idntreallycare:

Our school has one big fundraiser. If, and only if, we don't raise what we need, we'll do another. But we have been doing well with the one lone fundraiser.

I have been meaning to ask you how you make so much from a walk a thon. I was wondering if you would be willing to give some specifics on how you pull it off? I'm trying to rally some support for an extra fundraiser for a new playground at our school and I think something like that could be just the thing.

periwinkle163
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Quoting Meg_the_Mermaid:

I'm in the PTA and there's only about 5 of us who do anything. I'm pretty much living at the school many days, lol! We have a very small PTA and we all have our actual lives to run in addition to our school lives. It can be pretty overwhelming at times. If we had parents helping in any way...it would be less taxing on EVERYONE. 

Oh I so agree! We have a school of over 300 students and it is routinely the 4 of us and some of our spouses. It is so hard! I don't think the other parents realize how much work really goes into events that we throw.

chinosruca
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:20 AM
This.

Quoting mhaney03:

If our PTO wasn't a popularity contest, I might be more inclined to participate.  It's like high school all over again.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:24 AM

I was talking about OUR fundraiser. I understand that they all work differently.

Quoting periwinkle163:

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

Megzboys
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:50 AM

I have never heard of PTO but we do have a PTA group at our school.  

Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:29 AM
We have roughly 515 students. If we had 500 and each raised $40, there's $20k.
Now some kids don't raise any at all, but there's kids who raise hundreds of dollars. 2 years ago we had 2 kids who raised over a thousand each. They both won iPods as prizes.
We get donations for the prizes and for the water we give then after they walk (we buy the Popsicles we give them). So most of the money we raise is pure profit.

Quoting periwinkle163:

Quoting Idntreallycare:

We do a walk a thon

Quoting psurmont:

What fundraiser is that?

Quoting Idntreallycare:

Our school has one big fundraiser. If, and only if, we don't raise what we need, we'll do another. But we have been doing well with the one lone fundraiser.

I have been meaning to ask you how you make so much from a walk a thon. I was wondering if you would be willing to give some specifics on how you pull it off? I'm trying to rally some support for an extra fundraiser for a new playground at our school and I think something like that could be just the thing.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Quoting mhaney03:

If our PTO wasn't a popularity contest, I might be more inclined to participate.  It's like high school all over again.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)