Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What makes a good parent?

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 11:28 PM
  • 12 Replies

I would like to know your thoughts.  Do you consider yourself to be a good parent?  If so, why do you think this is? 

by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 11:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JulesFairy
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 11:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Honestly, the definition of that is a wide and variable one. I think number one is love. Then putting the interest of the child(ren) at the forefront of your mind. My husband sums it up like this... did you try your best and improve on the mistakes you made yesterday? Do you realize that you are there to be there parents not their friend, sometimes what you have to do isnt what they want you to do and that is where the parent over friend comes on. And are they happy, healthy, and well adjusted? If so then you are a good parent.
I figure the fact that i worry and strive to be a good parent qualifies me as one. I am notperfect. I yell and get upset over seemingly small things. But i am working on it. I may be mom but i am human too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
robynjavan7104
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 11:35 PM
I don't think I'm the best parent but I think I'm a good parent. I make sure my son is fed, clothed and that he has an over all happy childhood. I'm told that I'm a good parent often so I'm hoping that means I'm doing something right.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 11:37 PM

I think I am but i also know i have a few short comings as well.  I think i am a good parent since i make sure dd is safe, she has clothing, she is thriving in school, very rarely sick, etc.

robynjavan7104
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 11:37 PM
This is perfect!

Quoting JulesFairy:

Honestly, the definition of that is a wide and variable one. I think number one is love. Then putting the interest of the child(ren) at the forefront of your mind. My husband sums it up like this... did you try your best and improve on the mistakes you made yesterday? Do you realize that you are there to be there parents not their friend, sometimes what you have to do isnt what they want you to do and that is where the parent over friend comes on. And are they happy, healthy, and well adjusted? If so then you are a good parent.

I figure the fact that i worry and strive to be a good parent qualifies me as one. I am notperfect. I yell and get upset over seemingly small things. But i am working on it. I may be mom but i am human too.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TroyboysMom
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 3:34 AM

I consider myself a work-in-progress. I'm not done being a parent yet, so I don't actually know what kind of parent I am - I've never been one before, and my job isn't done yet. 

I try very hard to enrich my son's life - to show him that he is loved, well-cared for, and exposed to the wonder of life, and it's possibilities.  

Cindy18
by Cruella on Sep. 26, 2012 at 6:47 AM
2 moms liked this

I do consider myself a good parent. Not perfect, no one is.

I think a good parent is someone who thinks about the children first, takes their best interest to heart with every decision that the parents make, know that they are not friends with their kids and that sometimes the best decision isn't the easiest one. A good parent would crawl across broken glass to do what is needed for their child, if that's what it would take.

vermontmoms
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 7:57 AM
First, I feel being agood parent is the hardest job I have ever had! It is still a work in progress!

I consider myself to be a good parent and have been told I am by other people too.

My kids needs are at the top of the family's priority list, they have a clean home and clothes, they know school is important and in return they work hard to be excellent students, we feed them healthy foods, we tell them NO when appropriate, etc. We are their parent first friend second!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KRIZZ25
motherhood is not a race..u can't outdo one another..u go go ur own speed.
Yesterday at 2:56 AM
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 12:30 PM
i,ma food parent for my kids.. ur a good one for urs.
corrinacs
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 2:40 PM

A good parent is one that takes into account their child and all others your child encounters.  Does what it takes to make the child wholeheartedly healthly, happy, and successful in life....to whatever it means to that parent and child.

soymujer
by Mikki on Sep. 26, 2012 at 10:09 PM

I think if you give attention to your children, teach them things and show respect, you're a good parent.

family in the van   Mom of four

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)