Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When your elementary school does school pictures what is the protocol? Do you get to preorder pictures, are you told in advance how much it is?

My son's school sent home a paper yesterday stating school pictures are Oct. 1st. It also states that if the parents aren't happy with the pictures they are offered a retake for $5.00. 

No where does it state packages available or the pricing. You are not told how much it costs.

I am in a group on FB for the PTSA association. The president posted on FACEBOOK the packages are $19.-$45. Yet, she doesn't state WHEN the money is due. I asked when the money is due. She replied at the time of order. So I asked is that the same day as pictures being taken? No reply from her. I feel this is extremely disorganized. As a parent, single or married people need to budget and be aware when an extra expense comes up so I can make sure I have enough money for whenever this is due.

I really don't feel as if I'm making a big deal out of this. I feel like the communication in this school, well simply put it sucks. 

**Updated: Today my son brought home his school picture proof (his picture made me cry) and the order form was attached anywhere from $20-$45.00 for pictures. We have 5 days to hand in the money so far not impressed with handing in cash-the lunch lady kept his $2.50 in change today!!**

by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 8:38 AM
Replies (41-49):
BeachMommy07
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Idk I'm still confused. lol. 1 lady said bring money monday and another contradicted herself and said no money monday. Whatever lol. I find out Monday.

Quoting _Mrs.H_:

Mine are in two different schools. One being preschool. Elementary you pay day of pictures and order then. The preschool takes pictures then you get a proof sheet and order then. That might be what they are doing.

lalasmama2007
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 11:18 AM
Quoting BeachMommy07:

We just got the paperwork yesterday. The packages are between $14-$35. We have to send in the money on picture day or else you will be charged an extra $10 for ordering the pics online after they are uploaded.
othermom
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 11:31 AM

The first set you preorder, later in the year they do another where they take it first and you can see the pictures before you buy.

kelliewhitney
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:10 PM

If you have family members who demand school pictures, let them know that you would love for them to get a package for you as a birthday/holiday gift. If they want them that badly, they can pay for them. You can couch it in a nice way: "We would love to get school pictures this year, but it is just not in the budget. Times are tough, especially with a few kids. If you would like to cover the cost, I would gladly consider that my Christmas present. We would love to have some pictures." Side benefit: you will not get some ugly lamp for a Christmas or Channukah (sp?)  gift that you really did not want anyway!

Personally, I think that if at all possible, the school should provide a projected expense list (as should all extra-cirricular activities) when you sign up for the next year. The expenses do not change much from year to year, and new parents need to know what to expect. I think many parents would prefer a parent to do this as a volunteer position (it would not be difficult) rather than have 16 people at the Jog-A-Thon urging the kids to keep jogging. I love the Jog-A-Thon, BTW...just an example.

They could list things like school pictures, upcoming fundraisers, projected field trip/outdoor science school costs, school spirit gear, PTA membership fees, and whatever else your school asks for money-wise. Why is that not part of the welcome packet???

Some people are dead broke right now. If I had known that Outdoor Science Camp would cost about $300, I would have started saving LAST year. I can't gather a week's pay in 3 months without deciding to eat only Ramen noodles for breakfast and lunch until then (me, not the kids, and I plan to do that).

We don't do school pictures. By the time I factor in a haircut for the boy and the cost of pics for 3 kids, it's just insane. Especially with 3 days notice. Also, I work "flexible" hours. Therefore, I cannot drop everything at a moments notice, get a haircut for the boy (he likes it shaggy, we like it neat for pictures),

The place where I work has free haircuts on certian days for children. Of course, they were all booked up when I got the "advance notice" of the pictures. Fortunately, employees get free picture sittings, a free digital copy, and a free 8x10 for their families each year. I'll use that instead of the school pictures.

Yes, I know some snarky people will reccomend that I volunteer for the position of "forcasted public school expenses person" at my kids' school. I will not do so for 3 reasons:

1) I volunteer my butt off already, mostly at Church. Given my work hours and parenting requirements, I am already holding my own.

2) I work while DH watches the kids (we have alternating schedules). I also cook 90% of the meals, any laundry that is done is done by me, as are most chores. My "work day," including work, chores and ferrying the kids around is about 16 hours on a good day, not counting eating.

3) I am not happy with the political statements of the NEA and National PTA, so I refuse to join. That kinda locks me out of of a job like that.

Still, I think every school should have someone who does that job. I refuse to even reccomend it as a position at my kids' school, as I know the follow up will be "Would you like to handle that?" No. I totally appreciate that being a SAHM is a hard job (way harder than working while raising kids, and I have done both). However, in my neighborhood, once all of the kids are in school, many of the SAHMs have a couple of hours a day to work out (I don't need too; my job requires constant walking), have nannies after school, and have housecleaners. Let them handle this stuff. Of course, they probably could not take care of it.

I've seen twits with ONE child who feel the need to take their nanny to a grocery store with their child while shopping, because they cannot handle it themselves. This is not a rare occurance.

I used to be the SAHM who carried the weight for all of the working moms. Now, I am the working mom who still volunteers several hours a week to help my kids with their activities. My mom used to work 60+ hours a week, and still managed to help out. If every parent would volunteer an hour a week, all would be well.

Sorry, that turned into a rant!

steelcage
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:15 PM

We were given a packet a week before pictures, listing packages and pricing. We had to preorder the pictures and deliver the packet back with DD on picture day. DH refused to preoder pictures (he's an ass), because he wasn't going to pay for pictures that could look crappy. 

With our youngest's preschool, they wait until after the pictures are taken to send pricing information, so we can see if the pictures came out okay (they didn't, she had messed up her hair and they got way too close up on her face). 

Raeann11
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this

We had ours on Sept 29 and it had the prices and packages listed. Money is to be sent with it on the day of pictures.

WesternNYmom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:39 PM

About 1 week prior to picture day,  the schools send home information about picture packages and pricing. All this is done by the local portrait studio that takes the pictures. Attached to the pamplet is an envelope that the parents fill out with the child's name, school, teacher, and grade. We then select a package, and the background, and fill in the price of our orders. Then we have the option of  putting cash or a check in the envelope to pay for the pictures. When the kids go down to the auditorium or gym for pictures, they individually hand their envelopes to the photographer. This is done so that the photographer knows what background to use for each individual photo. 

BeachMommy07
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:16 PM

We didn't get to preorder but this is how I would have liked to have it done.

Quoting WesternNYmom:

About 1 week prior to picture day,  the schools send home information about picture packages and pricing. All this is done by the local portrait studio that takes the pictures. Attached to the pamplet is an envelope that the parents fill out with the child's name, school, teacher, and grade. We then select a package, and the background, and fill in the price of our orders. Then we have the option of  putting cash or a check in the envelope to pay for the pictures. When the kids go down to the auditorium or gym for pictures, they individually hand their envelopes to the photographer. This is done so that the photographer knows what background to use for each individual photo. 

BeachMommy07
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Just to update still haven't heard jack about pricing of these pictures. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)