Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I spoke to kiddo's teacher last night and she is recommending that she be screened for occupational therapy.  Apparently kiddo does not hold her pencil and crayon correctly (neither do I, but whatever) and she seems to fatigue easily when she writes.  I just feel like I failed her, but honestly I never really thought about "proper" holding technique.  Like I said I hold my pens wonky and I have perfectly legible handwriting.  I don't want kiddo to feel like she's not performing well enough, teacher assured me that in all other ways she's doing great in class.  I okayed the screening but asked if I could be in the area so that I could speak with the testers once the test was completed.  Also if it doesn't go well I know kiddo is going to be a mess, she's pretty much obsessed with perfection which only makes me feel even worse about all this.  Honestly I want what's best for my daughter, but I feel a little annoyed that they want to do this screening just because she doesn't hold her crayons in the standard way.  

by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 6:04 AM
Replies (11-18):
PinkButterfly66
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 6:39 AM

Yeah my kid didn''t either and it drove the teachers crazy (preschool and 2nd grade) I told the teachers to leave her alone and let her hold her pencil however she wants.  

lizfnf
by Bronze Member on Sep. 27, 2012 at 6:40 AM

Thanks!  It just makes me feel bad for her.  She's such a little perfectionist.  Maybe I should get her some of those pencil grips designed to teach proper holding technique for use at home?  I hold mine like a maniac so I can't even demonstrate good form, which is probably where she picked up the bad habit.  Mom fail!

Quoting 2girlsYES:

Well good thing is if there is an issue, her teachers, the school & you are addressing it very early. I'm sure she'll be okay mom :)

Quoting lizfnf:

She's 5, in kindergarten.

Quoting 2girlsYES:

How old is she? What grade?

lizfnf
by Bronze Member on Sep. 27, 2012 at 6:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks!  I am glad that the teacher obviously spends time with each student long enough to notice the problem.  Even more impressive since there's 25 of them.  At least.

Quoting Cindy18:

If it's done well, the other kids won't even notice anything different going on with your DD. It most likely will only be something special for her pencil and at that age the kids will probably be more jealous that she gets something special and want what she has. She will be the cool kid!

Seriously, it won't take long to correct.

Quoting lizfnf:

Yes.  So hopefully since it was caught early it will be easier to break her of her bad habits.  

Quoting Cindy18:

Is she in kindergarten?

Quoting lizfnf:

I guess my biggest fear is that she'll be made fun of by the other kids.  I remember just how mean they can be to each other.  

Quoting Cindy18:

It's the school's job to find things like this. Don't feel like a failure because you didn't think it was a big deal. It's not a big deal in the grand scheme of her school carrer. They will test her. She won't even know if she didn't do well because the test aren't pass/fail, they are "do your best". It's an easy fix. She will probably only have to have an OT work with her a couple times and that's it.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 27, 2012 at 7:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I bet the other kids will barely notice if she's pulled out of class for OT if it's needed. At that age, you might be surprised how many kids are pulled out for special help at various times during the day.

If your dd gets upset of this, maybe approach it as, "They are going to teach you how to keep your hand from getting so tired when you write."

Quoting lizfnf:

Yes.  So hopefully since it was caught early it will be easier to break her of her bad habits.  

Quoting Cindy18:

Is she in kindergarten?

Quoting lizfnf:

I guess my biggest fear is that she'll be made fun of by the other kids.  I remember just how mean they can be to each other.  

Quoting Cindy18:

It's the school's job to find things like this. Don't feel like a failure because you didn't think it was a big deal. It's not a big deal in the grand scheme of her school carrer. They will test her. She won't even know if she didn't do well because the test aren't pass/fail, they are "do your best". It's an easy fix. She will probably only have to have an OT work with her a couple times and that's it.

cindylou15
by Member on Sep. 27, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Take a deep breath...do not make this a negative thing for your child...If anything this is a positive thing!!!  Especially if your child insists on perfection!!  OT will teach her to hold her writing equipment properly so that she will not end up injuring herself later ( carpal tunnel, and others).

She mabee has mirrored your style ( not a bad thing), but get it corrected so that her body holds up the way it should.

You didn't mention how old your child is but really you are making more of this than it really is ...this is not a failure on you or her in any way...this is a good thing!!

cindylou15
by Member on Sep. 27, 2012 at 10:01 AM

At 5 its fun to get to go to special groups...I highly doubt there will be anyone who will make fun of her...most likely they will want to go to...OT is mostly active play...lucky girl will get to go for 20 min a couple times a week to go play one on one with the teacher....

nb34
by Member on Sep. 27, 2012 at 10:21 AM

My very smart and successful cousin (she is a very successful OBGYN) still does not hold her pencil "the correct way." Don't worry, you are not failing her and in the end it really doesn't matter. If you can get help to correct this minor issue, so do that, but don't blame yourself and don't make a big deal out of it.

VeronicaTex
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 12:33 PM

I really like this reply, especially the part that says what you can say to your daughter about the people who will be working with her:  "They are going to teach you how to keep you hand from getting so tired when you write." .

((Hugs)) to you and your daughter, liznf.  good luck

Veronica-Former elementary teacher for 21 years.

Quoting wakymom:

I bet the other kids will barely notice if she's pulled out of class for OT if it's needed. At that age, you might be surprised how many kids are pulled out for special help at various times during the day.

If your dd gets upset of this, maybe approach it as, "They are going to teach you how to keep your hand from getting so tired when you write."

Quoting lizfnf:

Quoting Cindy18:

Is she in kindergarten?

Quoting lizfnf:

Quoting Cindy18:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)