Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Rude Parents

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 6:56 PM
Max
  • 52 Replies

I chaperoned my son's first field trip today and we had a great time. The kids were really well behaved, but their parents really weren't.

We went to a pioneer settlement. We rotated from station to station doing a variety of activities. The kids followed directions and listen very well for a bunch of four year olds. 

But their parents... that's a whole other story. They talked during the presentations. They ignored the teacher's directions to line up or stop activities when it was time to change. I felt so badly for the teacher since I'm usually the one in her shoes. It really sucks to give your students directions only to watch their parents tell them to do something different. 

I don't think they are nasty rude people in general. I just think they figure it's a field trip and it's not a big deal if they want to get a couple of extra pictures or talk during a presentation. But it makes things a lot more difficult for the teacher. 

Have you noticed this kind of behavior at school functions?

by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 6:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Yes I have and it annoys me as well.  When i participate in any class activity I follow the instructions with students unless teacher specifies otherwise.

mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:08 PM
Some, but usually there are very few parents when I've gone on a field trip, and the kids have been HORRIBLE! I pretty much refuse to go if I have more than 3 kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Definitely!!  I try and chaperone one field trip a year and it's the same thing.  It drives me BATTY!!  The moms act like it's a social outing for them.  I have noticed when dads chaperone they are the ones following directions.  Hmmm.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:11 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes I have noticed that on more than one occasion, which is why the principal and I recently wrote a volunteer code of conduct of sorts for the parents to sign and follow prior to doing any volunteering in the school.  I'm not sure if it will help or not, but at least this way the parents can't say that they didn't know the rules when they are told that they can no longer volunteer.

psurmont
by Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:19 PM
I want to be able to go and hope that none of the parents act that way. I want the children to have fun and that includes listening to their teacher and following directions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Homeschoolmom99
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:29 PM

We home-school and have learned to not go if we can on trips with regular school kids. The kids will be fine but the parents! UGH! I want my son to learn as I am sure you do

LucyHarper
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:34 PM

I usually can't chaperone school trips, I work during most of school hours and there are very few afternoon half day trips, so I haven't been on many of their field trips. But, I worked a side job at a childrens museum over the summer, many field trips came through, sometimes five schools a day, and those kinds of parents are very common. They think that the rules only apply to the kids and they can do whatever they want, they whine the whole time about how they "have" to spend hours at our museum and how the kids "better be greatful", and they just in general don't actually pay attention to what they are supposed to be doing. They do absolutely nothing when their kids misbehave and just don't pay attention to them, heck I once found a 6 year old boy standing outside the museum with a name tag on, so I knew he was part of a field trip, turns out he was in one of the galleries looking at a painting, his class left the room without him noticing, when he looked over they were gone, they not only left the room without him, they left the museum, crossed the street, and went to go get lunch. This guy had eight kids to watch and he didn't notice that one of them was gone, he didn't make sure he had all of the kids before leaving the museum and that boy would have just been left there if I didn't notice. Then, when I walked him across the street to find his class, his chaperone started yelling at him for not leaving with the class, blaming the whole thing on him, and I was like, your joking right, you lost one of your kids and your blaming it on the 6 year old? Watch what your doing. Makes me nervous when my kids go on trips since my husband works during school hours too so neither of us can be there to make sure the chaperones are doing their jobs.

Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Not just field trips are like this!  The last couple of years my kids participated in a school talent show.  The audience was so loud there were times you could barely hear the kids. 

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Oct. 2, 2012 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this

No I haven't. I have chaperoned many field trips and I can't recall any where the parents were the ones who "misbehaved", only the children.

Tracys2
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 10:57 PM

We had to tell parents off at VBS for chatting when they were supposed to be working. I found it amusing, but then I know them and they are all good friends with each other.

I know when we went to the Capitol (DC), my mother and the teacher were giggling a LOT, but we were older and well-behaved, and obviously it was in the "off" times. I think that's fine- on the bus, while waiting- sitting in the park eating lunches- any time kids are allowed to talk. I can't imagine distracting everyone during the actual learning. The best thing on that field trip was watching the House/Senate were WAY worse-behaved than we ever were (5th grade)!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)