Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

This just seems like a conflict of interest to me......

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:40 PM
  • 223 Replies
1 mom liked this

The whole school (300 students) goes on a field trip to an apple orchard.

$17.00 a kid to take a 2 mile bus ride, a small paper cup of Apple Cider, one doughnut, one hotdog and a bottle of water.

The kicker is one of the teachers at this school OWNS the orchard.

There are two other apple orchards within the same mileage from the school.

What do you think about this?

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chinosruca
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:45 PM
30 moms liked this
How much would it cost at the other Orchards? If she is offering fair/competitive rates, it wouldn't bother me. If others are cheaper or have an overall better package for the same price, it would be a huge conflict of interest.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with PP.  One would hope that a teacher would give the school a good deal or even offer the school a better program/package than they normally would offer.  So long as the price and program are similar as the other orchards AND the teacher isn't the one that is actually making the decision as to which orchard that the students will be visiting, then it isn't a conflict.  However, if said teacher is the person responsible for deciding which orchard to go to, then there is a conflict of interest.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:50 PM
4 moms liked this

If they are giving the same or better deal than the other orchards I don't see it as a an issue.

The money probably mainly covers the bus. It's outrageously expensive to bus students. It makes field trips really tricky.  

Cindy18
by Cruella on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:56 PM

This is a district that already buses. I would think that it would be cheaper since they already have the buses.

The kids could have walked! 1 mile there and 1 mile home.

I just think it's expensive for what they got.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

If they are giving the same or better deal than the other orchards I don't see it as a an issue.

The money probably mainly covers the bus. It's outrageously expensive to bus students. It makes field trips really tricky.  

DaphneSmith
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:58 PM
They have to pay the bus drivers which is expensive plus pay to take bus to another place even I'd district has busses. Also then they charge more for "insurance" it is crazy but true. I just paid 25 for one field trip and 48 for ds trip
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:01 PM

You would think it would be cheaper. 

Our district charges $45-50 per hour plus over $7 per mile for buses. 

But that does seem like a lot for one mile. 

Quoting Cindy18:

This is a district that already buses. I would think that it would be cheaper since they already have the buses.

The kids could have walked! 1 mile there and 1 mile home.

I just think it's expensive for what they got.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Our district owns the buses that are used for our field trip.  A typical field trip costs about $350 for the bus, which breaks down to about $7 per student as around 50 kids are on each bus.

So using that theory, it would be $7 for the bus and $10 for the actual orchard visit.  We don't have to pay for extra insurance as field trips are covered under the districts insurance policy.

Cindy18
by Cruella on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:05 PM

That's $5,100 for a 2 mile bus ride, a doughnut, a small cup of cider, a hot dog, and a bottle of water per kid.

IncognitoOne
by Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Holy crap. It's $7.25 for the trip to the apple orchard my two are going to this month.....AND they're going to a mexican restaurant (included in the price) to eat. 

Strega
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah, that's ridiculously expensive. When our Daughter was in Public School and had Field Trips, they ranged from Free to maybe $7 tops, for any of them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN