Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This just seems like a conflict of interest to me......

Posted by   + Show Post

The whole school (300 students) goes on a field trip to an apple orchard.

$17.00 a kid to take a 2 mile bus ride, a small paper cup of Apple Cider, one doughnut, one hotdog and a bottle of water.

The kicker is one of the teachers at this school OWNS the orchard.

There are two other apple orchards within the same mileage from the school.

What do you think about this?

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:40 PM
Replies (171-180):
ginnyk87
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:13 PM
Omg, back in the day we never had to pay for fieldtrips. At least, I don't remember my mom sending extra money other than money to spend at the gift shop lol.
tinysmom160
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Well you better get use to it the older they get the more things cost. We go to apple orchard close to us and the place cost just to get in 11 per person and 8 for kids and that is with no food. I know what you mean about how things cost. Now when my kids was little there school had a PTO and they paid for alot of the kids trips like that. 

Now as far as the teacher owning it they have to make a living too and it is their business. Maybe that was with a discount not sure.

GotSomeKids
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:28 PM

It depends on the district and state budgets.  While, our district does pay the drivers to bus for school, it does not pay for the drivers for field trips.  So either the PTA/PTO has to pay for it or the students have to pay for it.

So, those who don't pay very much for their field trips are either covered in the local/state education budget or another organization is covering the busing costs.  Meanwhile, those who pay a lot likely have to pay to be bussed on their field trips.

Quoting mommyof11050307:

We don't pay for field trips here. Its weird to me that you'd have to pay to go on there. 

IAMmomtotrips
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:28 PM
Our district has very strict rules about field trips...and profit off of them is not allowed, so I'll put money on it that the orchard probably let them in way below cost... How many buses did they take and how long did they stay? If you have that,, I can give you a pretty good estimate of the trip cost...I am currently planning a field trip for 70 kids and busing alone for two buses is over $700.
VintageWife
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:31 PM
They are out of their minds!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:32 PM

I get what you are saying, I do.

spcmom
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:37 PM
We paid 2 bucks for our orchard trip... They each got a ride there in school dist buses, a cup of fresh cider, and pick their own pumpkin. We ate bag lunches brought from home under the apple trees
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
isabellah
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:39 PM

you betcha!!!! And $17 per kid thats amazing is it a public school?

Frog74
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:39 PM
I don't think its a conflict necessarily. maybe the other orchards are more expensive or aren't interested in hosting.

And I don't think its expensive. My DD is in kinder this year- she has a field trip at the end of this month, and we have to pay $10 and pack her a lunch. There is no admission fee for the location, and she's not getting a pumpkin or a donut, or cider, etc.

Here, the buses are privately owned, so the transportation for the field trip has to be covered by those going on the trip.

I don't remember ever not paying for a field trip, and I graduated from high school over 20 years ago...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:43 PM

I've always paid for field trips for my kids (7 and 14).  I graduated from high school 23 years ago and my mom paid for all field trips.

Quoting mommyof11050307:

We don't pay for field trips here. Its weird to me that you'd have to pay to go on there. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)