Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

This just seems like a conflict of interest to me......

Posted by   + Show Post

The whole school (300 students) goes on a field trip to an apple orchard.

$17.00 a kid to take a 2 mile bus ride, a small paper cup of Apple Cider, one doughnut, one hotdog and a bottle of water.

The kicker is one of the teachers at this school OWNS the orchard.

There are two other apple orchards within the same mileage from the school.

What do you think about this?

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:40 PM
Replies (181-190):
barefootmommi
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:45 PM
I think it sound fun . That's kinda all.
PinkieRed
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:54 PM

My daughter went on a field trip to Lake Farmpark (an educational farm here in Ohio, that's owned by a park district), last year, in 8th grade. She was going to a Catholic school that did not have busses. It was about a 14 mile trip each way. The school hired a private bus service.

The field trip cost $20, which covered the bus, admission to the farm, and a slice of pizza. They had to pack lunches as well, since they were only getting that one slice of pizza at the park, nothing else to eat or drink. So, I'd say $17 for the trip your daughter took really isn't bad.

JonesMama
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:17 PM
1 mom liked this

We love Lake Farmpark! We've never had a field trip there but used to have a membership and we still go a couple times a year. We even had ds' 2nd birthday there in 2007, it was great! Can't wait for the Halloween hayride event and the holiday lights one!

Quoting PinkieRed:

My daughter went on a field trip to Lake Farmpark (an educational farm here in Ohio, that's owned by a park district), last year, in 8th grade. She was going to a Catholic school that did not have busses. It was about a 14 mile trip each way. The school hired a private bus service.

The field trip cost $20, which covered the bus, admission to the farm, and a slice of pizza. They had to pack lunches as well, since they were only getting that one slice of pizza at the park, nothing else to eat or drink. So, I'd say $17 for the trip your daughter took really isn't bad.

sakpoints
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Seems expensive to me for what they get, but I have no idea about transportation costs.  I am fortunate our school owns their buses and I have never had to pay for a field trip.

PinkieRed
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Small world! You're the 3rd person from northeast Ohio I've "met" on CM in the past few days! I haven't gone to Lake Farmpark in a few years, but I'd like to go back. My husband and I took our kids there when our son was a toddler, and I still remember him screaming and sobbing, when we went in this barn that had roosters, and one of the roosters crowed really loudly, LOL! Poor kid, it really scared him!

Quoting JonesMama:

We love Lake Farmpark! We've never had a field trip there but used to have a membership and we still go a couple times a year. We even had ds' 2nd birthday there in 2007, it was great! Can't wait for the Halloween hayride event and the holiday lights one!

Quoting PinkieRed:

BuckeyezRule
by Laura on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:00 AM
$17?!?! Geez, our orchard does a tour of cider making, gives a cup of cider and let's you pick an apple for FREE!!!!!! If you do the hayride, it was like $2 a kid.

I've actually never taken a tour of a factory where it costs $$$. Same with gov't buildings. In Utah, where I live, anyway. I've toured a cookie factory, candy factory, state Capitol building, a grocery store, a donut shop, the cider mill, a few farms, that's all I can think of. These places love teaching the kids about what they make. And many do hope you'll buy in their gift shop. Lol

300 kids x $17, EACH?! $5100!!!! Wow.

I know I'm cheap, I know. I say I am. Lol and sorry I didn't even answer your question, op. I was just so thrown by the cost, I had to OT. Lol

I agree with most, if the price is comparable, no issues.
BuckeyezRule
by Laura on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:02 AM
Quoting sakpoints:

Seems expensive to me for what they get, but I have no idea about transportation costs.  I am fortunate our school owns their buses and I have never had to pay for a field trip.

I don't know if we own our buses, but, almost no out of pocket. I think a field trip cost $3 or $4, once. I think it was the planetarium.
2girlsMom.MN
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:06 AM

My daughter went on a field trip to a apple orchard/pumpkin patch last week. We went on a hayride, saw the scarcrow festivals, played on outside toys, fed the goats, picked out a pumpkin, got one apple. Cost was free. It was through her preschool headstart so not sure if they got a discount or who paid. 

My other daughter is in 5th grade and I've never ever paid more than like $10 dollars for a field trip. 

I think $17 is ridiculous and wonder how some families could afford that especially if they have more than a few kids in that school. 

300 kids in one school at $17 a kid is like $5,000 .... was any money donated towards the school as a fundraiser?

kaitybird
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:15 AM

I think that 17 a kid is a bit much....When I was working it was about 45 to use the bus for the amount of time.  It did get more expensive if we went past the time after the bus driver would have gotten off.  Other wise the bus company gave us a bus driver for the day.  The bus driver didn't make anything out of his normal hourly wage.  The bus also didn't have to stay for the duration of the field trip.  The money used for the buses came out of the regular school budget.  It has its own number since so many schools go on field trips.  It never even cost that much to go to our local farms here.  I would be wondering about that one!

SeanandNoahsmom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Ridiculous!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)