Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

This just seems like a conflict of interest to me......

Posted by   + Show Post

The whole school (300 students) goes on a field trip to an apple orchard.

$17.00 a kid to take a 2 mile bus ride, a small paper cup of Apple Cider, one doughnut, one hotdog and a bottle of water.

The kicker is one of the teachers at this school OWNS the orchard.

There are two other apple orchards within the same mileage from the school.

What do you think about this?

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:40 PM
Replies (191-200):
liz.1986
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:17 AM
That seems high to me!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nussknacker
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:41 AM

All Im thinking is that Im missing out on something here! I should offer "pick your own walnut" tours :-)

Ahhh but my kids schools have quite large farm operations of their own. Interesting topic for this farm gal!

saraface5383
by Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:42 AM
Right?! Same here!

Quoting ginnyk87:

Omg, back in the day we never had to pay for fieldtrips. At least, I don't remember my mom sending extra money other than money to spend at the gift shop lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bmommyx2
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:49 AM

I think I'm more bothered by the $17 cost & the doughnut & hot dog.  You could inquire if they got bids from the other orchards

ScrChk23
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:11 AM
Well said!

Quoting chinosruca:

How much would it cost at the other Orchards? If she is offering fair/competitive rates, it wouldn't bother me. If others are cheaper or have an overall better package for the same price, it would be a huge conflict of interest.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Basherte
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:52 AM

Here's a question that I haven't seen the answer to yet. Of course, I'm on page 9. 

Is the teacher who owns the orchard the one who decided which orchard they would be going to?

^If that is a yes, then I can see a conflict of interest. 

I'm not sure I understand why the cost of it was added to this considering the question put to everyone was if it was a conflict of interest. Although, 17 dollars does sound a bit high. Of course, my son is 3 and hasn't gone on any field trips. 

Is the field trip mandatory for all students? Or is it an option. Because for it to be mandatory, what about the parents who can't afford to send their child or children on that field trip? All the field trips that I went to while a student were educational. And meant to help further our interest in the subject by having us see things up close and personal. So that we could ask questions of the people that know that particular subject best because they are there all the time. 

Never went to an apple orchard, or a pumpkin patch as a school function. Went to an apple field with my parents, but that was a family thing, not a school thing.

diamondsetter
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:56 AM
They charge you for field trips? Ours are covered by the school. Either way, it's still only $17 for your child to go experience that, which isn't THAT much is it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DragonMom25
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:08 AM

at least you get the option of a field trip.  

our school will not take field trips because all parent's cannot pay.  which means the ones that could pay would have to pay for 1-3 other kids whose parents "couldn't" pay.

how did they get away with that lunch?  there is no voegetables and no fruits no dairy either.  our new lunch menues are so horrid even the teachers are brown bagging: 3 ounces of white 1.5 % milk, or milk alternative, 2 ounces of meat (only 2 times a week) the other 3 days it is 4 ounces of meat alternative protien, 1 cup of vegetables and 1 cup of fruit (doesnt sound bad until you are looking at brusselsprouts and kiwi one day....)

so you could have been paying for 3 kids to do the field trip, or insurance, or bussing ($75 an hour for drivers here anytime it is not normal bus time, it is their overtime, and same pay to wait anywhere too, plus fuel/maintenance/insurance per mile) best bet is to ask!

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:26 AM

Quoting Basherte:

Is the field trip mandatory for all students? Or is it an option. Because for it to be mandatory, what about the parents who can't afford to send their child or children on that field trip? All the field trips that I went to while a student were educational. And meant to help further our interest in the subject by having us see things up close and personal. So that we could ask questions of the people that know that particular subject best because they are there all the time. 

Never went to an apple orchard, or a pumpkin patch as a school function. Went to an apple field with my parents, but that was a family thing, not a school thing.

As a child I never went on a field trip like this but I've since moved south of Boston and it's a very common field trip here; of course, there's a lot more farmland here than where I grew up.  Cranberry bogs are another common field trip.  These field trips are definitely educational as well.  Included in our state curriculum frameworks is a standard about understanding plant lifecycles as well as one about community; I would guess that how your school defines community would depend on where it is situated.  There are a lot of cranberry bogs in my town and the neighboring ones as well as some apple and pumpkin patches.  

I've never seen a fieldtrip that was mandatory but usually the PTO covers the kids who can't afford it.  

I think if the OP thinks this is high, she should get an estimate from the other orchards for what a field trip including the exact same things would cost.   That said, I cannot imagine ever going on a field trip with the entire school; I think I'd plan a personal day that day.  Our 3rd-5th grades go to our town's symphony performance every other year; that is chaotic enough without adding another 3 grades.

AmberRose1122
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:29 AM
So do they stay the whole day and get to pick apples and have a hay ride or is that literally all they get? It's cheaper to take them myself if it costs that much!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN