Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

This just seems like a conflict of interest to me......

Posted by   + Show Post

The whole school (300 students) goes on a field trip to an apple orchard.

$17.00 a kid to take a 2 mile bus ride, a small paper cup of Apple Cider, one doughnut, one hotdog and a bottle of water.

The kicker is one of the teachers at this school OWNS the orchard.

There are two other apple orchards within the same mileage from the school.

What do you think about this?

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:40 PM
Replies (201-210):
Basherte
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:39 AM

Yeah, my school took classes on field trips not the entire school.

Like the 6th grade would go on a field trip. Then later the 5th grade would go on one. 

Okay. That sounds interesting actually.

Maybe that would get the kids to realize that milk comes from cows instead of the store. Maybe the city kids and rural kids should go on those types of field trips a bit more.

I laugh when I hear that, but at the same time it's really sad that they don't know that eggs come from chickens, that beef comes from cows, pork and ham come from a pig. Too many think that all that stuff comes from the store. And while you get it at a store, it doesn't come from there.

Quoting disneymom2two:

Quoting Basherte:

Is the field trip mandatory for all students? Or is it an option. Because for it to be mandatory, what about the parents who can't afford to send their child or children on that field trip? All the field trips that I went to while a student were educational. And meant to help further our interest in the subject by having us see things up close and personal. So that we could ask questions of the people that know that particular subject best because they are there all the time. 

Never went to an apple orchard, or a pumpkin patch as a school function. Went to an apple field with my parents, but that was a family thing, not a school thing.

As a child I never went on a field trip like this but I've since moved south of Boston and it's a very common field trip here; of course, there's a lot more farmland here than where I grew up.  Cranberry bogs are another common field trip.  These field trips are definitely educational as well.  Included in our state curriculum frameworks is a standard about understanding plant lifecycles as well as one about community; I would guess that how your school defines community would depend on where it is situated.  There are a lot of cranberry bogs in my town and the neighboring ones as well as some apple and pumpkin patches.  

I've never seen a fieldtrip that was mandatory but usually the PTO covers the kids who can't afford it.  

I think if the OP thinks this is high, she should get an estimate from the other orchards for what a field trip including the exact same things would cost.   That said, I cannot imagine ever going on a field trip with the entire school; I think I'd plan a personal day that day.  Our 3rd-5th grades go to our town's symphony performance every other year; that is chaotic enough without adding another 3 grades.

melanielmcgee
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:46 AM
Yeah it does
disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Growing up, I had no idea that cranberries came from a bog.  I assumed they came from bushes like blueberries and raspberries.  Now I'm surrounded by bogs.

Quoting Basherte:

Like the 6th grade would go on a field trip. Then later the 5th grade would go on one. 

Maybe that would get the kids to realize that milk comes from cows instead of the store. Maybe the city kids and rural kids should go on those types of field trips a bit more.

I laugh when I hear that, but at the same time it's really sad that they don't know that eggs come from chickens, that beef comes from cows, pork and ham come from a pig. Too many think that all that stuff comes from the store. And while you get it at a store, it doesn't come from there.

Quoting disneymom2two:

Quoting Basherte:

Is the field trip mandatory for all students? Or is it an option. Because for it to be mandatory, what about the parents who can't afford to send their child or children on that field trip? All the field trips that I went to while a student were educational. And meant to help further our interest in the subject by having us see things up close and personal. So that we could ask questions of the people that know that particular subject best because they are there all the time. 

Never went to an apple orchard, or a pumpkin patch as a school function. Went to an apple field with my parents, but that was a family thing, not a school thing.

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:53 AM

To be honest - I had no clue until I read your post. I don't like cranberries either though. So I was never interested in how they grow.  Not a good reason I'm sure, but there it is.

Quoting disneymom2two:

Growing up, I had no idea that cranberries came from a bog.  I assumed they came from bushes like blueberries and raspberries.  Now I'm surrounded by bogs.

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting disneymom2two:

Quoting Basherte:

xxshelbyxxx
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:14 AM
I think that sounds like a scam and that teacher needs to be questioned. How could the board approve such a trip when its so blatantly obvious that its strictly for benefiting the teacher and fillin his pockets?!...
greenmachine47
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:10 AM

wow schools charge for field trips these days?

supercarp
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:51 AM

My kids went on fieldtrips to apple orchards and we never had to pay for it; the school did. I don't think that because a teacher owns an orchard, her business should be excluded, but they should look at price as well as what the orchard offers

iansusie
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:24 AM

An hour away is a lot different than a mile each way... just saying. I am going to a pumpkin patch next week, $9 per kid, this includes a hay ride and a pumpkin plus the bus. Yes we must take our own food but if your child receives FREE meals at school he/she can take a lunch bag from the cafeteria. The Pumpkin patch on my own would cost $6 per person, so the bus is costing $3 per kid round trip an hour away.... $17 is too much for the OP's trip

And yes, I could take my kid on my own but if he doesn't go to the field trip he has to stay at school, that is certainly not something I would do to my child, even if I thought the trip was over priced. What about if I honestly couldn't afford $17 and my kid was the only one who didn't get to go but had to stay in school and do work? Now, if I could keep them home, without counting as an absence, then I definitely would if they were charging me $17 to go a mile away just to drink apple cider and eat a hot dog.!

Quoting banana-bear:

The pumpkin patch here costs $7 to get in but it's about an hour away. Factoring gas, bus fee, lunch, other snacks (like OP's kid got), that would be well over $10. I think she got a great deal. Like I said, people want something for nothing. If parents think they can do it cheaper, then they don't need to let their kids go and just take them on their own.

Quoting iansusie:

Quoting banana-bear:

I can't believe people want something for nothing. Y'all are outrageous. It's not a bad deal and I don't see it as a conflict of interest.

It is not wanting something for nothing but $17 for a field trip like she described is way too much. My kid is going to a pumpkin patch an hour away and the fee is $9 and that includes a pumpkin. They can pack a lunch or get a baggeds one from the cafeteria (at the parents expense). Parents/chaperones pay $9 too plus $4.50 for cafeteria lunch or they can bag one for themselves.

$17 for a 2 mile round trip and a small cup of apple cider, a hot dog a doughnut and water is just outrageous

Buying hotdogs and buns in bulk makes them cheaper, so lets say a hot dog would be no more than $2

Water bottles would be at the most 1.00 per child

Doughnut 50 cents

cup of apple cider $2.00 (and I am being generous) 

banana-bear
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:39 AM
I just cannot see how $17 is too much for that trip, considering all they got. We obviously live in different cities/states, because that money ($17) doesn't go that far here. If I could not afford to go, I would give my child two options: stay home or go to school.

Children need to be aware that some families just cannot afford to go and there will be a "next time". I tell my kids all the time that I'm not paying $30 for a toy they will never play with, just because we went to the store and they want to buy something. My kids know to ask me if something is expensive or not and if it seems like a reasonable purchase. Teach them about money and budgeting while they are young. It's truly beneficial to inform them that they can't always get what they want; especially when the family cannot afford it.

Quoting iansusie:

An hour away is a lot different than a mile each way... just saying. I am going to a pumpkin patch next week, $9 per kid, this includes a hay ride and a pumpkin plus the bus. Yes we must take our own food but if your child receives FREE meals at school he/she can take a lunch bag from the cafeteria. The Pumpkin patch on my own would cost $6 per person, so the bus is costing $3 per kid round trip an hour away.... $17 is too much for the OP's trip

And yes, I could take my kid on my own but if he doesn't go to the field trip he has to stay at school, that is certainly not something I would do to my child, even if I thought the trip was over priced. What about if I honestly couldn't afford $17 and my kid was the only one who didn't get to go but had to stay in school and do work? Now, if I could keep them home, without counting as an absence, then I definitely would if they were charging me $17 to go a mile away just to drink apple cider and eat a hot dog.!

Quoting banana-bear:

The pumpkin patch here costs $7 to get in but it's about an hour away. Factoring gas, bus fee, lunch, other snacks (like OP's kid got), that would be well over $10. I think she got a great deal. Like I said, people want something for nothing. If parents think they can do it cheaper, then they don't need to let their kids go and just take them on their own.

Quoting iansusie:

Quoting banana-bear:

I can't believe people want something for nothing. Y'all are outrageous. It's not a bad deal and I don't see it as a conflict of interest.

It is not wanting something for nothing but $17 for a field trip like she described is way too much. My kid is going to a pumpkin patch an hour away and the fee is $9 and that includes a pumpkin. They can pack a lunch or get a baggeds one from the cafeteria (at the parents expense). Parents/chaperones pay $9 too plus $4.50 for cafeteria lunch or they can bag one for themselves.

$17 for a 2 mile round trip and a small cup of apple cider, a hot dog a doughnut and water is just outrageous

Buying hotdogs and buns in bulk makes them cheaper, so lets say a hot dog would be no more than $2

Doughnut 50 cents

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iansusie
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:53 AM

You are assuming too much, I teach my children about money, I tell them when we can't buy something, I tell them there is always a next time and I have taught them how to earn their own money with a lemonade stand, they KNOW money does not grow on tress and you must work HARD for it but they are 5 and 7. I would have probably sucked it up and paid but I still think it is too much. Her kid did not get "all that" She got a hot dog, a doughnut, a water and a cup of apple cider. And probably was at the apple orchard in less than 10 min. $12 MAX. I am sure they could have skipped the hot dogs and doughnuts and done bagged school lunch and JUST the apple cider, to make it easier on the parents and each kid should have gotten at least ONE apple to take home!

I just do not think a school, specially not a public school, should make field trips so expensive $10, I think is fair, if it costs more then do not do it or at least give parents TIME, not a week (that is how much time we had to come up with the money and no $9 will not kill us but someone else might not have it) And yes California and New York might be more expensive but it does not mean that parents can afford expensive trips. Yes I can in theory keep my child home and I guess take him to the doctor to get a note so I can have an excused absence for him.

I just find you comment offensive, I do not want the school to pay for the trips but I want a reasonable and fair fee that matches with what they are receiving.

Quoting banana-bear:

I just cannot see how $17 is too much for that trip, considering all they got. We obviously live in different cities/states, because that money ($17) doesn't go that far here. If I could not afford to go, I would give my child two options: stay home or go to school.

Children need to be aware that some families just cannot afford to go and there will be a "next time". I tell my kids all the time that I'm not paying $30 for a toy they will never play with, just because we went to the store and they want to buy something. My kids know to ask me if something is expensive or not and if it seems like a reasonable purchase. Teach them about money and budgeting while they are young. It's truly beneficial to inform them that they can't always get what they want; especially when the family cannot afford it.

Quoting iansusie:

Quoting banana-bear:

Quoting iansusie:

Quoting banana-bear:

Doughnut 50 cents

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN